Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started riding mountain bikes on full-suspension.

A few years later, I discovered singlespeeds, due in part to the singlespeed board and in part to Andy aka Rut.

Aboard a singlespeed, I found out that I like hardtails too. Since then I've wondered what a geared bike with a hardtail would be like. When I had my Vulture converted to gears and spent a few hundred miles on it, I knew I loved it. I wanted to feel the speed that the hardtail affords, and the in-touch sense of the rigid back-end. Oh yes…I wanted to cut out unnecessary weight also…who needs it?

So this project began after some financial restructuring…aka clean out garage and put old equipment on ebay.

Then the sky opened up…

And this appeared….

This is my 3rd custom frame. I'm learning that I'm getting better at working with builders and determining what I really want. I know this because this newest darling is downright amazing.

She started a little rough.
I wanted room for a muddy Exiwolf in the stays…and a very solid BB area…along with a compliant vertical ride.

She's all built know.
Who'd a thunk that a guy 6'6 with almost a 39" inseam could ride a bike that looks this good (*wink) and uses ZERO headset spacers and a flat bar? Not me. But it's here and again..it's amazing.

It's not a weight weenie build persay, but there is no unnecessary weight, that's for sure…

Scott Quiring was a great builder to work with. He really delivered.

Check out www.quiringcycles.net and go to the ti mountain 29er gallery under "erik 29" to see the beautiful frame only shots Scott took.

Build is as follows:
Quiring ti 29er size HUGE (tt is 26.38" and ST is 22")

Middleburn compact cranks 20ti-30ti-42alu

Phil Wood Stainless BB

Time Atac Carbon/ti pedals

PC-99 chain

Wheels:
DT 240 centerlock hubs
Salsa Delgado wheels
DT Competition spokes
7" Avid Clean Sweep rotors
Fiber tape rim strips

Rear tire:
WTB Nano Kevlar bead

Front tire:
Specialized Fast Trak

26" Maxxis flyweight tubes

Saint brakes

Thomson post
Thomson stem 5x90mm

Seven flat bar 26" wide x 5 degree sweep

Sram X9 rear der.
XTR front der.

SRAM X0 grip-shifts
Oury grips cut down for the gripshifts

Rock Shox Reba 100mm

Salsa skewers

WTB Devo carbon saddle

King cages ti

Cane Creek S-2 headset

*thanks to the guys at the Path for helping me acquire parts and helping me with the Phil Wood BB. what would I have done without that special tool?

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's about time, I've been waiting for you to post a picture of this bike( I saw the finished frame before he shipped it). I have to say It's the biggest ti frame I have ever seen. You got to take a pic with Madre standing next to it so we can get it in perspective. Oh and congrats on a sweet new ride! :)

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
That is an excellent build. I like the 72/72 head/seat angles. Looks like a nice Sunday stroll kind of rig :p

Cheers!

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Great looking bike, and I too like the 72* STA (for proper fit) and HTA (for proper handling).

Sorry they don't make a Ti Thudbuster to go with it though. :D

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The angles make this bike feel the most "racey" of any bike I've owned while simultaneously remaining equally stable. Sunday ride, Saturday epic or Leadville...it's all good. =)

·
Mmmmmm Beer!
617 Posts
Sweet bike Padre! So are you suspensionless now?

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
the fact that you bought from Quiring gives them some added credibility, because I had never really thought of them as a viable option for me, despite the fact that I have seen numerous frames of his on this board. I regard your past purchases as generally spot on. I saw an aluminum frame of his once and didn't think it was anything special. Your bike looks great!

I have to ask why you went away from DeSalvo though. Was it just to get something different or some other reason?

Edit: I looked on the Quiring site but could not find pricing for Ti frames....maybe I am just blind or something

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Padre said:
And this appeared….

Build is as follows:

Middleburn compact cranks 20-30-42
I noticed the bb is set for 12.75 inches. Are you using 180's or 185mm cranks? Otherwise it seems kind of high.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,030 Posts
Nice work dre. You have a passion for riding and a passion for buying bikes :thumbsup:.

fc

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Very nice ride Padre. Congrats. I am right there with you, having ordered a Ti geared hardtail (Eriksen) just the other day. After riding my steel SS 29er for a while, I'm really excited about having a geared 29er as well.

...mine is going to be much smaller though! ;)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Padre said:
The angles make this bike feel the most "racey" of any bike I've owned while simultaneously remaining equally stable. Sunday ride, Saturday epic or Leadville...it's all good. =)
Congrats Padre! That's exactly the way a mountain bike should be in my opinion.

and I've got a new Ti frame awaiting buildup myself....... :)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts