Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
RaceFace will do custom length if you pay them enough (I might be wrong, but I was told they did 185mm deus' for Yao Ming's Gunnar), and a few companies will do custom length stems. Moots will if memory serves right, and XACD over in China will as well.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
maybe

for cranks, call Roger Durham at Bullseye: 800/874-0600 or 818/846-7163
those #s are a decade old, no guarantee, but I know he's still out there somewhere makin' stuff

a lot of framebuilders can and do make stems. find your local one and ask.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You don't need custom. There are a full range of lengths and angles available.

I custom fitted my bike myself--makes me feel like I got the Lance Armstrong treatment. I'm pretty well convinced that you'd have to actually clone me to produce another human being who would be so perfectly comfortable and perform at the optimum on my bike.

As for the cranks. I replaced the standard 175mm length cranks with Shimano XT 172.5mm cranks. Trust me, you don't need anything with a finer difference than 2.5mm. I've heard that people can't find such sizes here--I bought mine in Japan--but I swear they do exist. I'm a big fan of special ordering at my LBS.

Stems too come in a fantastic wealth of angles and lengths. Outside of velodrome racing and maybe time trialing on the road, there's no reason you should have to have parts custom made just for you. Frames are custom made, parts just come in different specs.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I agree; if you can't find a stem that will work " off the shelf " then there is something terribly wrong with your frame fit.
I also believe that someone once told me that Phil Wood made custom cranks, but they cost a small fortune.

E W.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
RaceFace will do custom length if you pay them enough (I might be wrong, but I was told they did 185mm deus' for Yao Ming's Gunnar), and a few companies will do custom length stems. Moots will if memory serves right, and XACD over in China will as well.
I take back what I said. Apparently they wont do custom length cranks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts