Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the question states. FWIW, I have some good experiences with the CCDB, while others have not. Noted are some design limitations, which can be easily alleviated through some seemingly simple mods, such as allowing the piston's ports to actually function.

Anyone have the balls to try?

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
As the question states. FWIW, I have some good experiences with the CCDB, while others have not. Noted are some design limitations, which can be easily alleviated through some seemingly simple mods, such as allowing the piston's ports to actually function.

I think revalving the super stiffly valved main piston may not be a bad idea and might just address the spiking issues at high shaft speeds. Someone should do it and report back.

EDIT: Yup, Darren would be the right person for the job.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Popcorn is the microwave....I've been waiting on this to happen....:thumbsup: Don't hold back now....turn loose of them ideas and start brain stormin'....

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Popcorn is the microwave....I've been waiting on this to happen....:thumbsup: Don't hold back now....turn loose of them ideas and start brain stormin'....
You've had yours for a while now so let's hear what you got.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man w/ one hand said:

Stop being lazy. You need to get off your ass and design a corn popper you can bolt on to yourself.

While we're on that topic, any beer cap openers on your person?

:thumbsup:

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
I think most folks have read my impressions of the shock, so I won't jump back into that rant again [ I won't take the bait!]. MWOH, let's hear your impressions please.

·
steep fast and loose :)
3,270 Posts
fwiw, i've found the CCDB to almost be frame specific.
for eg. it is a revelation on my 6 Pack, but hopelessly outclassed on the Helius AM.........

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
The_Lecht_Rocks said:
fwiw, i've found the CCDB to almost be frame specific.
for eg. it is a revelation on my 6 Pack, but hopelessly outclassed on the Helius AM.........
can you elaborate? How is the shock outclassed on the Helius?

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
From the few CCDB 'shock dyno' sheets I have seen, it looks like the shim stack is the same or very similar regardless of frame. A custom shim stack would be ideal as the high speed poppet adjuster is not a real replacement for a shim stack.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
The "shim stack" [essentially a solid piston], the low speed and high speed circuits are identical on every shock. The information gathered by cane creek from each customer regarding riding weight, frame, etc.,is for determining the proper spring rate.
C'mon Man w/one hand, let's hear your impressions. Cane creek needs to hear what you have to say, even if you are friends with them. :eekster:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,633 Posts
Renegade said:
The "shim stack" [essentially a solid piston], the low speed and high speed circuits are identical on every shock. The information gathered by cane creek from each customer regarding riding weight, frame, etc.,is for determining the proper spring rate.
C'mon Man w/one hand, let's hear your impressions. Cane creek needs to hear what you have to say, even if you are friends with them. :eekster:
CCDB: While you can adjust the "preload' on the springs that control the poppet valves, you can't adjust the spring rate. Preloading a shim/spring and having a different weight shim/spring are two different things. With something like an avalanche, you have the shim stack that is set up for your weight and riding style, in addition to other setup factors like oil weight and nitrogen charge, this is set up specifically for you and is going to be set up better for a rider than just preloading a poppet valve IMO.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
No popcorn popper goin' on my arm, I'm keepin' it simple and working correctly. "Marzocchi should do the same". Seriously, I have no affiliation w/CC, actually I wish they would sponsor me so I could get a custom valved shock for my arm, I'm using a discontinued AD-10 that's been rebuilt. :thumbsup: Hint, hint Malcolm :D One can only wish.....:D

My hind end is noooo where near as educated as your guys bums are, or as they told us at Joe Gibbs Racing Shop, (pardon the name drop, hee hee), "the reason Labonte is not with us now is because his ass wasn't communicating w/his brain and giving us proper feed back as to how to tune his chassis". That's pretty much my situation. My CCDB has allowed me tune out the wallowing mid stroke and horrible g-out issues I had w/my DHX, even after it was PUSH'd. The range of the adjustments are w/o parallel, in my experience. I just don't have enough experience w/a wide range of other shocks like some of you have. TNC, for example, has the opportunity to test a wide range of product and compare them against each other and give invaluable feedback. I'm not familiar enough w/the internals of shocks/forks, wish I was and could give better advise and knowledge. I can deal w/95% of the rest of my bike, rebuilds, adjustments and such, but I don't have anyone to show/teach me about it. I'm too worried about having an unusable product after I take it apart and having to spend too much down time from riding waiting on it to get fixed by some one who knows what they're doin'. :rolleyes:

All that said, a couple of you guys have had issues w/spiking in certain situations, mine may do it as well, but I may not be riding the type of terrain enough to really notice it and it be an issue for me. Alot of the time I'm just glad my equipment has gotten me through a certain section alive, so the communication my hind end was having w/my brain was that "it had my saddle in a death grip and was along for the ride and thanks for gettin' me through it".
I have found the CCDB to be a really good shock. It is simple, when you make an adj. it doesn't screwup any of the others, you don't need a shock pump, it is as reliable as any shock I've used and I haven't heard of anyone having a blown shock or it puking oil or anything like that. I am still trying to make it a lil more "lively" off of the lip, but I don't hit the big stuff enough to keep my shock dialed in for that type of riding all of the time, I just want a lil better median settings that will give me as much of the best of all aspects of the type of riding I do. Sorry I can't give any better feedback than that.
When a product works for me I will go to bat for it and share my experience w/others and at times it seems as though I may have affiliation w/a given company, but it is my over zealousness that can get the better of me at times that can give the wrong impression, I apologize for that, but I do love me some CCDB :thumbsup: I am thankful for the sounding board that MTBR is for me, it would be a nightmare to make the decisions/purchases I have w/o the info and knowledge you guys have shared everyone here.

So the shim stack and piston ports are the only things that you guys feel are hindering this shock ? Tell me what you like about it.

FYI, beer opener will be included on the next version of my arm, can't believe I over looked that lil gem. :madman:

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Jayem said:
CCDB: While you can adjust the "preload' on the springs that control the poppet valves, you can't adjust the spring rate. Preloading a shim/spring and having a different weight shim/spring are two different things.
Good point. Perhaps they should have different spring rates for the poppet valves for different "applications".

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Jayem said:
CCDB: While you can adjust the "preload' on the springs that control the poppet valves, you can't adjust the spring rate. Preloading a shim/spring and having a different weight shim/spring are two different things. With something like an avalanche, you have the shim stack that is set up for your weight and riding style, in addition to other setup factors like oil weight and nitrogen charge, this is set up specifically for you and is going to be set up better for a rider than just preloading a poppet valve IMO.
I don't think this applies to the CCDB. This theory works on a suspension bike, where you have sag. There is no sag on the poppet valve, so the preload adds to the spring rate throughout the whole movement of the poppet.

_MK

1 - 20 of 198 Posts