Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Pivot Firebird that was clearly AM. Not I have a Mach 6. Is the Mach 6 AM or is enduro its own category? All these sub categories are getting confusing. Some categories make sense (single speed, full suspension, etc) but others are quite blurred.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
They;re just marketing categories designed to make the purchasing decision easier by segmenting bikes into a certain type of riding but IMO often they make the purchasing decision more confusing.

Your Firebird and Mach 6 are both what are commonly thought of as Enduro/AM. Some would call them bikes. Nice bikes

·
Registered
628 Posts
I expect this thread was started in fun, however I'd like to play along.

While I am no expert, and certainly not a marketer, I will offer my understanding of Enduro.
Enduro is a type of race for mountain bikes. Dependent upon the course any number of currently marketed bikes will be better suited to the terrain dependent on the style of rider on said terrain.
What's that mean?
Buy the bike that best suits the terrain you ride for your riding style, and let Enduro remain a descriptor for a type of mountain bike race.
If you intend on competing in Enduro racing, I would suggest a couple of uniquely built race bikes spec'd to best suit the terrain of the varied courses in your circuit would be the ball'r setup.
ha.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Enduro = Endurance

Enduro is combining downhill racing along with uphill cross country. In other words, you do fast sections and you have to climb like a goat on the same bike. That is why trail-AM bikes are used for enduro. Has to be strong enough for downhill and light enough for uphill. Also enduro is skill oriented. Whole point is testing the limits of the rider.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.