Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all Marzocchi springs interchangable? Assuming it's the length you need, & the rate you want - are they all "the same" since the beginning of time?

Point- Yesterday I got a brief look at a "real" Marzocchi parts book & I noticed that spring part #'s for forks roughly '02 to date all start with 85xxxx/x. There are a bunch of springs floating around ebay & other places that have part #'s 514xxxx/x. Are they interchangable?

I know 'zocchi increased the stanchion diameter on most of their forks sometime around 2003/4... did they change the spring dia. too & the early springs won't work in later forks, or vice versa?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Marz springs are sized to fit the ID of the stanchions they were manufactured for. This is mainly done to reduce spring rattle and scraping noise. Plus, at a certain point you might get some odd spring loading if you did something as strange as putting 30mm fork spring inside of a 40mm Monster T. Basically all fork springs intended for the proper fork size should interchange as long as the proper free length is attained. In other words all 30mm stanchion fork springs should fit inside all 30mm forks. Are there exceptions?...yes. The 32mm steel stanchioned Z150FR fork has a tiny bit larger ID than the aluminum 32mm forks, and therefore has slightly larger OD springs, so they won't fit into an aluminum stanchioned 32mm fork...but I'd bet the aluminum stanchioned 32mm springs would go into a steel stanchioned Z150FR, albeit with some increased spring noise.

Bottom line is that it is much safer and probably more logical to stay with the right springs for the right series of forks. Unless your fork is a piece of [email protected], why try to cheap out on the proper fork springs? Plus you have to know what you're doing if you mix, match, and swap different types of springs in forks not intended for their use. Things like the spacers between multiple spring stacks and diameter issues can cause problems if you don't address them properly. For example I'm using a Manitou 6" Firefly+ spring in a modified '04 Z150SL, and it works perfectly. I had to cut the spring and reshape the end to achieve the proper length, but its diameter was appropriate.

Lots of things are possible with non-standard springs and such, but be careful so that you don't damage a good fork or create a dangerous riding condition.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's sort of what I was thinking, but as you mentioned, there are exceptions

I completely agree with it being "right", which is why I asked. On the flip side, I'd be kinda foolish to shell out $30 more for the same spring if all 'zocchi did was change their part # system, or the packaging - so they dumped all their old stock to the clearing houses.

I guess what I really need is to get my hands on a Marzocchi book and actually be able to sit down & study it.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.