Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up y'all? I just moved to SoCal and my backyard is literally a place called Daley Ranch. I'm new to mountain biking on the dirt, although I've been riding a bike consistently for 15 years. With such a great locale, I want to start hitting the trails, but also still like to ride on the pavement. Got offered a pretty nice deal on a 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara from an LBS, and was wondering if it's too much bike for what I'm looking for? They've got some cheaper Trek models that I could go with, but I've always preferred quality over quantity. My question is, am I just wasting money going with the better model?

·
Registered
27 Posts
from everything i've read about them they are great bikes. plus you won't outgrow it any time soon. just ride it and make sure you like the fit, as the fisher geometry is a bit different than many other brands. it seems to be a love it or hate it kind of thing. bottom line is if you drop down much below the price point of the tass you'll start to give up quality components to save the cash. i'd say go for it if it won't break your bank.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I rode a special edition Marlin for a bit (now the "Piranah), which is basically a step down from the Tass. If my experience is any indicator, then the Tass would be a wonderful bike that will do well for a beginner but have sufficient oomph to take on more as you progress. I have to agree, get out there and ride it...it is a like it or leave it on the geometry....myself I like it, and have upgraded to a GF full suspension bike.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Definatly not to much for a new MTB'er in fact if the price is right it is perfect. If you plan on riding your better off buying a bike speced properly, if you only plan to ride once every coupple months save your money. As mentioned the geometry is different, they run a longer top tube so be shure to test ride to be shure the fit is proper. :):)

·
Registered
310 Posts
A tass was my 1st real mtn bike and I really liked it. I have had it for several years and it has been a great bike. I dont think its too much for a beginner - I think it has a good mix of components while not breaking the bank.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you will use it and how much the money is worth to you. If you can spare the cash and plan on actually riding the bike then it looks like a great beginners bike. If you can't pay your rent and/or the bike will most likely be collecting dust then it's a waste of your precious money. I suggest most beginners go with something they can easily afford. Beat that bike for a year or two and see if you get hooked. If you don't get hooked you haven't wasted a bunch of cash on something that you thought you would like but in the end did not. If you do get hooked you will almost definitely want some other "dream" bike in no time. By then you will know what that "dream" bike is for you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
my First Real Mountain Bike

rkay1 said:
What's up y'all? I just moved to SoCal and my backyard is literally a place called Daley Ranch. I'm new to mountain biking on the dirt, although I've been riding a bike consistently for 15 years. With such a great locale, I want to start hitting the trails, but also still like to ride on the pavement. Got offered a pretty nice deal on a 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara from an LBS, and was wondering if it's too much bike for what I'm looking for? They've got some cheaper Trek models that I could go with, but I've always preferred quality over quantity. My question is, am I just wasting money going with the better model?
Difinitely not too much bike. It was my first real mountain bike and it is fantastic for a beginner and anybody else. Mine was a 2002. The frames have gotten lighter and the components better. Plus, the frame is worthy of upgrades. I just moved away from SoCa and can tell you that will be doing alot of riding! The weather there is awesome as well as the trails. Have fun and ride safe Oh, be careful. Mountain biking is addictive, in a good way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey rkay1,

Just wondering what kind of price you got offered on the Tassajara. I've been considering getting this bike and saw them on sale for $699.99 (reg $819.99) at my LBS. Were you looking at the Tassajara disc or just the standard Tassajara ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just looking for the standard V brake. Figure I will try and upgrade to disc once I get into the dirt a bit more.

I don't really want to say what my LBS is, but I will tell you that I'm looking at <$600 with some nice add ons as well. Took me quite a bit of haggling, as I test rode it twice and have been in "negotiations" for the better part of two months.

I'm guessing the $699 is for the disc model correct? Not a bad price if so, and I'd always try and get some add ons thrown in for free. I'm certainly no expert in buying bikes, but usually like anything else in life it doesn't hurt to ask if they have some leeway with the prices and what they can "throw in" for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
go for it-that was my first bike, and after upgrading to a Cannondale Rush, I have held onto it because it is light and fast and climbs like a dream, so if I am going on a smooth trail, I use it. just another thumbs up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.