Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anyone buy the Ripmo (or similar) and later regret it feeling like you have too much bike?

I've been riding for many years on a Niner hardtail with 100mm SID. I love it actually. But my shop has some Ripmo's coming in and I'm seriously interested. A riding buddy mentioned I might want to consider the Ripley, and the shop guys say "sure the Ripley is great" but they think the Ripmo is close in weight and it's preferable to go for the extra travel available on the Ripmo.

I'm 53 and live in Northern Utah. I'm a weak climber. I have lots of trails with some very steep up, and steep down, with some flow, rock gardens and a bit of chunk here and there.

I have tried a Yeti SB130 on my trails and it didn't feel over biked but I did have to walk/push it up in more places than usual compared to my HT. I also demo-ed a e-bike the Orbea Rise and while it was loads of fun and solved my weak legs issue, I just think I'd still rather have a regular pedal bike.

Maybe as between the Ripley and Ripmo it just comes down to personal preference, but I really don't want to drop the coin on this and come to feel I made the wrong choice.

Thoughts?

[Edit: changed "Ridley" to "Ripley." Thanks!]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
There are no wrong choices, just personal preferences. One man's short travel is another man's downhill bike.

Why not demo both, then you can know if you have too much travel for how you ride? Bikers Edge has both in m-xl for demo.

Since you already have a hardtail, I'd say go for the Ripmo. If you need short travel you have the hard tails, and of you need big travel, you'll have that too.

That said, 120-130mm is perfect for all of northern Utah. There are only a handful of trails that a bigger travel bikes excel on in all of Utah compared to other states I've ridden in.

But, you should get the bike you really want, not what a riding buddy or internet warrior thinks you need. If the one bike will get you out riding, that's better than not riding.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
12,537 Posts
If pedaling efficiency is of importance to you a shorter travel bike will pedal better. No free lunch here.

I agree it's personal preference, but I'm personally not a fan of being over-biked. I much prefer to be under-biked, that's more fun to me than letting the bike do all the work. Not everyone has the same preferences as me though.

Buy whatever you think will put a bigger smile on your face.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Pre COVID there was a demo day at a local trail system. Lots of big brands and I'd always go and try 6-7 bikes. Was really eye opening to try a bunch of $6-7k bikes back to back on the same trails, and after a few years I started to get really fast at bike setup and develop an opinion. It's pretty easy to get wrong impression from poor bike setup.

At this point there are bikes that delight me and bikes I think are dogs. I like poppy bikes that let me climb standing. There's some magic I don't understand but I know it when I feel it. I was tempted by a few FS bikes until I rode a friends upgraded 5010 on a favorite wet roots descent, I was much faster (12 minutes instead of 18) but found it smoothed everything out and stole charm from the trail, I didn't need much line choice and just flew over everything. Could ignore the scary stuff. Not my bag. Felt like snowboarding. Also with those speeds and air I felt like I would need to start wearing armor and full face.

I definitely wouldn't get a bike without a solid demo. If I get a bike it's going to delight me and make me happy on my favorite trails, that's the criteria.

Instead of new fs bike I put a 140 float 34 on my ti 29er singlespeed and a 2.35 dhf on the front, was a huge improvement for my riding and I use my legs and dropper for rear suspension, that's where I'm at. I also love that I don't need pivot maintainance any more but maybe not a concern in Utah. Here in pnw the bushings and bearings never lasted a year.

I tried the ripmo v1 a few times. Is a bit heavy but terrific pedal platform, climbed delightfully out of saddle. Too much travel for me and it doesn't 'pop' off trail features. I liked the transition smuggler quite a bit, it made me happy to ride it. the yeti sb150 was pretty lively and precise but definitely too much bike for my trails and speed.

I think demo bikes until your Cinderella finds you. At this point I think I'd much rather have a custom hard tail made for me than any fs bike, something with a longer dropper, lower bars and a 150mm 36 fork.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think we have the same LBS (BE?) and pretty sure we ride the same trails. I know how you feel about the E bike. I'm 48, they are tons of fun, just not ready. Look at the Orbea Occam. just enough bike to keep you out of trouble and climbs as good or better than the Ripley.

·
Registered
997 Posts
A Ripmo may not be too much bike but it also might not be as good a fit as something else.

I was in the same boat as you (I'm 51) wanting a longer travel FS for comfort over climb.
In the end all I could find was a 21' SJ and I soon realized that It is a better fit for my riding style (XC) than
a longer travel bike would have been.
I rarely get to any bike park and most of my riding is XC/Trail with some aggressive DH's that the SJ handles with ease.
Along with the weight savings, the shorter travel SJ is far more playful off Jumps and climbs like a goat.

If I had gone with a SJ Evo I don't think I'd necessarily be disappointed, however It wouldn't fit my riding style as much as the SJ does.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Good input for sure. And especially a big thanks to those who live near me. Yes, I’m talking about getting a Ripmo from BE in Kaysville. I love in NSL near the Wild Rose trailhead. Most of my riding is on these trails: wild rose, including the various climbs to up to the top tower, lost lad, shoreline, city creek, and above the avenues, including bobsled, dry creek and 19th avenue. I’m 6-4 at 185 lbs and 53 years old. Mueller canyon and the Wasatch Crest also! Like I said previously, I’ve been on an old school geo hardtail for many years.

I’ve wanted a full suspension for a while but never got serious about it. I went to BE last month specifically to try the XL Orbea Rise, having heard good things about it and thinking at 53 this new type of e-bike might work well for me. Long story short, it’s definitely a great bike, but I think the motor/battery tech is still evolving quickly and at 53 I’m not ready yet to throw in the towel with a motor. Lol. Maybe in 7-10 years I’ll fell differently.

I like the Ripmo because: (1) it’s available now, and for personal reasons buying this month is good timing for me, and (2) being 6-4 I like the idea of having a longer fork to put the front up higher, and I really liked the confidence that the SB130 gave me going down. I don’t “send it” or go for jumps, and that won’t change. But the traction and stability was amazing and very appealing.

Will the fact that it’s longer on travel make me wish I had gone for a Blur TR, Epic Evo, Exie, or equivalent instead? That’s the big question that’s on my mind right now.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I'm 69 this month and also ride in northern Utah. I'm on the Wasatch back and make frequent trips to Moab. I have a Giant Trance 29 Pro and it works perfectly for my application. I ride with my youngest son (30) fairly frequently and he's on a Ripmo. Given your description, I think something with less travel would be a better fit. They're both great bikes, though. There are several shorter travel 29ers that would probably fit the bill.

Edit: I just read your post (#10). Frankly, given your size, I'd pick the bike that feels the most comfortable. I've shrunken down to about 5'8" tall and my son is 6'2" tall. He does send it, but I think his Ripmo is a good fit for him. It's a great bike!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It's "Ripley", not Ridley. That said, I would recommend the Ripley for riding in Northern Utah unless you often visit a bike park. The Ripley is more efficient, better for long days in the saddle, and can handle pretty much any trail where you live with ease. I have both in Park City and seldom go for the Ripmo unless at Deer Valley bike park. But most days I'm going for the Orbea Rise anyway. lol

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've wanted a full suspension for a while but never got serious about it. I went to BE last month specifically to try the XL Orbea Rise, having heard good things about it and thinking at 53 this new type of e-bike might work well for me. Long story short, it's definitely a great bike, but I think the motor/battery tech is still evolving quickly and at 53 I'm not ready yet to throw in the towel with a motor. Lol. Maybe in 7-10 years I'll fell differently.

I like the Ripmo because: (1) it's available now, and for personal reasons buying this month is good timing for me, and (2) being 6-4 I like the idea of having a longer fork to put the front up higher, and I really liked the confidence that the SB130 gave me going down. I don't "send it" or go for jumps, and that won't change. But the traction and stability was amazing and very appealing.

Will the fact that it's longer on travel make me wish I had gone for a Blur TR, Epic Evo, Exie, or equivalent instead? That's the big question that's on my mind right now.
Well, if you're riding a classic geo ht then this is a big step up. If you demo and you like it then do it. Like today! Enjoy your health for the rest of this year. Ripmo is one of the better bikes and will have fine resale if you decide next year that it's too big and you want the ripley.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm 42, on a Mach 6 (160mm) and I'm currently nursing two broken ribs cause I'm an idiot and go out of my way to hit every jump and drop I can find. My best friend and riding buddy, same age, same trails and he's on 120mm and has an equal amount of fun.

Really comes down to you, but I went with more travel cause I already have a 100mm HT and wanted something on the other end of the spectrum. Dude with the 2nd comment said it perfect, demo them both and get whichever you like best. Maybe even throw Santa Cruz, Revel or Pivot into the mix and demo them too, though availability might be an issue.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If pedaling efficiency is of importance to you a shorter travel bike will pedal better. No free lunch here.

I agree it's personal preference, but I'm personally not a fan of being over-biked. I much prefer to be under-biked, that's more fun to me than letting the bike do all the work. Not everyone has the same preferences as me though.

Buy whatever you think will put a bigger smile on your face.
I mostly agree with this depending on where and what you're riding. If I'm at a bike park, I'll take over biked, but most other scenarios, or like OP said Northern Utah, yeah I'll take my HT all day. People think they need A LOT more bike than they really do.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ripmo is one of the better bikes and will have fine resale if you decide next year that it's too big and you want the ripley.
That's actually a really good point. I'd been combing the classifieds for a buddy and it's definitely a seller's market right now. Just last week I saw a 2019 Trek Fuel going for only $500 less than it's original MSRP. I'd still demo, but there's definitely less risk knowing how strong the resale market is right now.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts