Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found what I consider a good deal ($250) for one of these: Raleigh Bicycles Talus 8.0 - 2010 Mountain

I am absolutely brand new to cycling. I haven't owned one since I was a kid.

When this popped up I thought it could be a good entry point into the sport. My only reservation is the lack of popularity for the Raleigh brand. I can't find much information on it or many reviews. It doesn't even have a section on this forum.

Could this lack of popularity hurt me as a newcomer? I wonder about finding maintenance articles or parts. I am very handy and plan to do all of my own maintenance that is reasonable. Coming from auto repair I've learned if you are working on a unique car it can be hard to find helpful guides; is the same true for bikes or are most of the components mostly plug-n-play?

I'm scheduled to take a look at it tonight - I guess I'm looking for confirmation I'm not doing something I'll regret later :confused:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Raliegh only makes the frame, no problem finding parts for it. It's a nice enrty level mountain bike, but if you get hooked on riding, you likely won't upgade anthing on it anyway. You'll buy a whole new bike.

Just go ride that Raliegh, enjoy it, and start saving LoL.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Raleigh, in the 80s and 90s, was a big name in the biking industry but they seem to have disappeared in the early 2000s under companies like GT, Giant, Specialized and Trek. But, I see them making a comeback of sorts. Their new carbon Talus 29er, which seems to be their flagship mountain bike, is drawing some rave reviews. They also jumped into the 650B market with their Tokul. They make good bikes and always have. If you find a good deal on one that fits you, then I wouldn't be hesitant to jump on it.

·
Shirtless Singlespeeder
506 Posts
Been riding Raleigh bikes for years, currently have 4 of them. Nice bikes that are a great value. There was once a Raleigh forum here but disappeared one day without a very cogent and clear explanation from the MTBR Admin. It seemed to have had many more users than lots of the more niche brands and there was speculation that the disappearance was nothing more than payback for their refusal to purchase advertising on this site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to pass because the bike was showing some wear, the rubber around the front hub was rotting, and the chain was binding frequently. As a newcomer I don't want to have to fiddle with these issues out of the gate. I think I'm going to check out a LBS and start with something that works and go from there.

·
Registered
15,132 Posts
The Suntour fork on that bike and many other lower priced bikes was designed by Suntour for bike paths only-- not the fun/difficult rocky and rooty terrain you can find. An Airborne Guardian is an entry bike with a rideable fork.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.