Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

I am looking to buy a new bike and 2000 dollars (Australian) is my Maximum budget. Am I better off getting a second hand squishy or a brand new Hardtail?

My main focus is Downhill Riding. The Local Downhill Tracks are nothing serious, however there are some serious tracks but they are about half an hours drive away. I will be getting my license in a few months, so I will then be able to go to those tracks.

They are pretty serious, they have Rock pools, Drops, hucks, berms etc. And after I get my license, I will hit these tracks regularly.

So I'm looking for a bike that can take a serious beating, within my budget of 2000 Australian Dollars.

I know that a second hand squishy is the obvious answer so far, however I prefer buying bikes new. Spending 1700-2000 on a second hand bike from Ebay is pretty risky because for all I know they could have problems.

Also, I want to do some free ride as well, and a bit of street, so I'm not sure how Ideal a Squishy would be in these zones, however, Downhill is my main focus.

At the moment I am leaning towards the 2008 Norco Manik or 2008 Norco Rampage. However I have heard that the 2008 Norcos aren't as good as the 2007 models. Should I try and find a 2007 model, or are the 2008 Models ideal? Does anyone own one who can tell me about them?

Rampage: http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/shore_hardtail/rampage.php
Manik: http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/shore_hardtail/manik.php

Basically I'm looking for an all around bike that can still tackle some serious Downhill tracks. Would either of these bikes be capable? Or should I go for something else.

(I know this post is a little all over the place, sorry) Help is Appreciated =)

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
I'm rockin a Norco Sasquatch (2006) and very pleased.
It's tearing apart any terrain. Singles, rockgardens, serious downhills, drops, whatever...

If you will ride ONLY DH, i would say go FS.

Attachments

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
danyiluska said:
I'm rockin a Norco Sasquatch (2006) and very pleased.
It's tearing apart any terrain. Singles, rockgardens, serious downhills, drops, whatever...

If you will ride ONLY DH, i would say go FS.
Niceee.

I currently ride a 2004 Norco Sasquatch myself. I am actually selling it as well as my 2007 Norco Rival in order to buy the new bike.

I have never had the opertunity to take it on nay serious tracks though. Maybe I should go out to the serious tracks on my Sasquatch and decide then if I should get a Hardtail or not, as seen as that will be where i ride most.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
People have built pretty awsome HT DH bikes on Banshee Morphine. A big DH fork might not be the best for the urban stuff, though.

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
perttime said:
People have built pretty awsome HT DH bikes on Banshee Morphine. A big DH fork might not be the best for the urban stuff, though.
Banshee Bikes are hard to get here in Australia.

How much would a Tripple Clamp Fork cost me?

I could have a spare rim & Tyre on the stock fork, and then the stock rim on the tripple clamp, and swap.

Tripple Clamp when I'm hitting Downhills obviously, and the stock fork for the local stuff.

Would this work out? I'm leaning strongly towards the Norco Manik.

As I said I want to tackle a lot of downhill. I also forgot to mention, I'm NOT looking to win any races. I just want a bike that I can take out, give a beating and have fun on, then come home with it in one piece....

Would the Manik be capable of that?
The tracks I intend on going to have drops randing from 2-9 foot, I wouldn't hit anything higher than 6 foot. They also have rock pools that I will need to be able to travel through, berm corners as usual and windy tactical slopes.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
OP: asking mainly US-posters about pricing won't get you very far. Oz bike prices are about 200% of US prices. Good luck, though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
steve695 said:
Banshee Bikes are hard to get here in Australia.

How much would a Tripple Clamp Fork cost me?

I could have a spare rim & Tyre on the stock fork, and then the stock rim on the tripple clamp, and swap.

Tripple Clamp when I'm hitting Downhills obviously, and the stock fork for the local stuff.

Would this work out? I'm leaning strongly towards the Norco Manik.

As I said I want to tackle a lot of downhill. I also forgot to mention, I'm NOT looking to win any races. I just want a bike that I can take out, give a beating and have fun on, then come home with it in one piece....

Would the Manik be capable of that?
The tracks I intend on going to have drops randing from 2-9 foot, I wouldn't hit anything higher than 6 foot. They also have rock pools that I will need to be able to travel through, berm corners as usual and windy tactical slopes.
Hi there. I live in Australia - namely Perth.
Where abouts are you? I bought a dually off Farkin (Are you a member of Farkin?) and got it shipped from Melbourne. Buying stuff you've never seen has it's risks for sure, but I came out ok. Can't say the same for others. You can get some pretty decent second hand bikes for 2 thousand big ones over here.

Also, Banshee's are super easy to get hold of:
http://www.xxiv.com.au

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
But just a new Morphine frame is over $AUS 1,000. Buying a complete bike, if you can find something suitable, makes better economical sense (for a "2000 dollars (Australian)" max budget.

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GiantGeoff said:
Hi there. I live in Australia - namely Perth.
Where abouts are you? I bought a dually off Farkin (Are you a member of Farkin?) and got it shipped from Melbourne. Buying stuff you've never seen has it's risks for sure, but I came out ok. Can't say the same for others. You can get some pretty decent second hand bikes for 2 thousand big ones over here.

Also, Banshee's are super easy to get hold of:
http://www.xxiv.com.au
Thanks for the link man =)

I'm from Victoria, and nah, not a member of Farkin, I read the forums some times though.

·
old broken downhiller
175 Posts
For several years we had an Azonic EVO hardtail w/ a smaller dual crown Manitou fork of some kind in the shed, we kept it set up and tuned for guys who needed a bike to ride. So if a friend was in town with no bike or someone's bike broke it was there for anyone to use. It went anywhere and did anything (just about) that the big bikes did. NORBA DH course at Deer Valley, Park City shuttles, Flying Monkey, Grafton Mesa, we rode that bike all over the place, and it always pulled duty like a champ...

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big Mike said:
For several years we had an Azonic EVO hardtail w/ a smaller dual crown Manitou fork of some kind in the shed, we kept it set up and tuned for guys who needed a bike to ride. So if a friend was in town with no bike or someone's bike broke it was there for anyone to use. It went anywhere and did anything (just about) that the big bikes did. NORBA DH course at Deer Valley, Park City shuttles, Flying Monkey, Grafton Mesa, we rode that bike all over the place, and it always pulled duty like a champ...
Oh that sounds mint as.

So obviously Hardtails can do some decent Downhill?

I'm leaning towards a 2008 Manik or a 2008 Banshee Wildcard, I can get a Wildcard for 2200 and a Manik for 1599. If anyone owns or has ridden either of these bikes some information about how they ride will be great (most reviews were written in 2007 and below).

Like I said, I wan't somethings that can tackle downhill tracks and come home in one piece, and I'm not looking to win any races.
I just want something I can have fun on, that can ride through almost anything.

But I still want something that I can fang around the streets on, and just generally free ride.

Some of the other bikes suggested in this Thread also look very nice, and I have looked at them as well. There's just too much to chose from.

·
The plough
662 Posts
Banshee Wildcard rides really nice. Its a bump eraser. I built one for my friend, and rode it a little. Its incredibly solid. He rides it in urban settings as well as roots and rocks. I asked him how it feels, and he said "Like nothing, nothing at all". Meaning that normal trails and riding are not challenging enough anymore.

Also, check out the Banshee blog for more current information: http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com/

Lastly, if your budget truly is tight, I may have an alternative for you. PM me if interested.

Cheers,

V.

·
Registered
153 Posts
steve695 said:
I'm leaning towards a 2008 Manik or a 2008 Banshee Wildcard, I can get a Wildcard for 2200 and a Manik for 1599.
That Wildcard price you quoted is frame only though, isn't it?

What don't you like about your current ride? I always had the impression that the Sasquatch was pretty bullet proof. What's the spec on it? Perhaps all you really need to buy to try out some downhilling are some decent tyres, a full face and some pads.

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sov said:
That Wildcard price you quoted is frame only though, isn't it?

What don't you like about your current ride? I always had the impression that the Sasquatch was pretty bullet proof. What's the spec on it? Perhaps all you really need to buy to try out some downhilling are some decent tyres, a full face and some pads.
There's nothing wrong with it, it's fine, it's just getting old and i want something new.

They are good bikes, but i want something even better.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
You could check out an Azonic Steelhead; they're fairly cheap and strong. Of course they're pretty heavy as well but most people who buy them aren't too concerned with that detail.

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kenbentit said:
You could check out an Azonic Steelhead; they're fairly cheap and strong. Of course they're pretty heavy as well but most people who buy them aren't too concerned with that detail.
hmm I sorta prefer the other bikes over it

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Squatch_ said:
Out of curiousity, what's "too old" about the Norco you have now? It seems like you're spending a bunch of money to replace your bike with stuff that's essentially the same.
I know it's silly but I don't really like the look of it and I want something with a bigger fork and I just want a newer bike.

And it just isn't smooth. there's always something creaking or rattling.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.