Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over a trail, is descending 5000 feet a lot? I have no experience in altitude so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Can somebody give me a point of reference or something?

And yes, I am scouting. :p

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
coma13 said:
Over a trail, is descending 5000 feet a lot? I have no experience in altitude so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Can somebody give me a point of reference or something?

yes that is a lot...a very lot...if you can get it to flow and have it shuttable...then i am in

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, Whistler is about 4000 feet vertical, and if you rode it without stopping, you'd be painfully peeling your hands off the handlebars. It take most people about 30-40 minutes, on technical trails. A bit less on jump trails. 5000 feet is definitely some hefty vertical, especially if you have to ride up first. I couldn't imagine riding to the top of Whistler on my big bike.

·
I like air!
915 Posts
coma13 said:

There are ski resorts in the NE that are only 1000'. I think Mt Everest is only about 4 or 5 times the height. If you base jumped off a 5000 foot cliff you could freefall for almost 15-20 sec before pull time. So I would say thats pretty large.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
5,000 is a TON. I think the base of Mt. Hood is like 5,000 feet. Thats a lot of vertical. Its like riding from Blue Canyon in the Sierras down to the beach...thats nuts.

I am in too, let me install my new fork first.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohhhhhh boy. That's kinda what I was thinking, I just didn't want to get excited. I think it'd be a bit under maybe like 4,700' or more.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I didn't know there were hills that big in north county SD.

You know "Rock Mountain" out deluz way? Any trails up there? I used to rock climb out there, seems like a lot of potential in the area.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scarpa said:
I didn't know there were hills that big in north county SD.

You know "Rock Mountain" out deluz way? Any trails up there? I used to rock climb out there, seems like a lot of potential in the area.
Yeah, not really shuttle-able though. All the hills over there are really short. It'd be a fantastic area for a regular mtb trail though, I'm looking to build a downhill trail, a LONG downhill trail.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Think I've Done It

5000 feet is a ridiculous amount of vertical rise. I think I did about that much once - on a shuttle outside Colorado Springs. It kicked my ass. The Whstler comparison is useful. Riding from the top of Garbanzo to the village hurts - at least for me.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
You're forgetting that Shabadu gave us a lift up mid-way for an additional 700 feet. The downhill we would have done without his assistance was about 4k. I did a 7.5k shuttle (without climbing) this summer but it was on a lame trail and not worth repeating.

So when are you coming back to do it again???

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
This Summer?

I would soooo love to do that ride again! I've got more skills, more bike, more wind...

It would be a no-brainer if my girlfriend was still living in Denver. But she's in SLC right now. But with Joe back in Denver and my gf being happy to visit friends, maybe I can make it happen. Maybe I could visit Rockshox. Then it would be work. Yeah, that's it :D

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
coma13 said:
Yeah, not really shuttle-able though. All the hills over there are really short. It'd be a fantastic area for a regular mtb trail though, I'm looking to build a downhill trail, a LONG downhill trail.
so...... then you are more towards the Palm Springs area...look for a shuttable trail....5000 feet of vert will probably take you 3 years to build

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
It all depends on how long the trail is.

Total vertical elev change is pretty meaningless unless you know roughly how long the trail will be. You can lose that much elevation pretty easily by just doing long xc rides on fire roads (out west at least), etc...

You can also have a murderously steep and nasty trail that drops like 1000 or 2000 feet, as long as it does that change over a short enough distance.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
mt attitash in NH is 5200 feet high, but shuttles to like 42,000 feet or something. its very steep though, so bombing down access trails youl get down in about 10 or 15 minutes, tech trails maybe 20-30 minutes. not too bad at the bottom with ur hands if u have good brakes, compared to rims brakes which ive tried once.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.