Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I'm a noob here. I've been lurking around for a while now but never posted. I'm new to biking also and almost purchased a walmart/target bike until I came across this site. Thanks guys!

Anyways, some guy is selling an '06 Specialized Hardrock Sport 19" in mint condition because he doesn't have time for it and the sport just wasn't for him. So the bike has been sitting in his house collecting dust and he claims to have only ridden it once. The guy is the same height as me too 5'10"/5'11".

The bike is stock but comes along with a lock, helmet, pump, saddle kit with patch kit/tools, and water bottle. Is this a good deal? A LBS has the same model for $329+tax w/out accessories.

If so, what should I be looking at when I drop by to check it out? I guess I can tell if the bike is in mint condition right? No nicks or scratches etc..

·
Registered
98 Posts
i say go with the brand new one or look for a better deal. A 30 dollard difference isnt very good, the LBS will most likely give you a free tune up or two wich costs around 40 bucks. if anything goes wrong with it and you have a decent LBS they take care of it (usually for free or at a discount) . Something goes wrong with a used bike your SOL .I bought a new rockhopper last year and had to take it in 3 times within a couple months my lbs did everything for free, would have cost me a ton of money if i had to pay. you could easily get all those accesories used or onsale very cheap, just look on the hot deals section hear on mtbr on your local craigslist or on www.steepandcheap.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was hoping to bargain with him still to hopefully 260. So how much should I pay for it?

$329 + tax (CA 8.25%) = $356

He bought it last June so maybe I can take it to where he purchased it if anything goes wrong. I'll have to ask him about that.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Welcome aboard. You are getting into a great sport and this is a great site. Just beware, you are very likely to get addicted and there is no turning back. I started out with a $300 bike and now I own 3 bikes that each cost more than my pick-up.

I don't ride Specialized bikes so I don't know for sure, but a 19" frame sounds like it could a bit big for you at 5' 10". I am 5' 9" and I ride 17" Ventana frames. I had a Gary Fisher hard tail that was an 18". Mountain bike makers size their frames different, so the 19" may work fine for you. You really need to try a couple of different sizes to see what feels best for you. This is one place the local dealer can help you out if they are a decent shop and know what they are doing. Being new to mountain bikes I assume that you haven't had a chance to try a few different frame sizes to see how they feel.

If you are going to end up pretty close on price, I would say go with new. You will get the chance to ride a few different sizes and get the one that fits you best. Factor in the points that bentMywookie makes and it would be worth the few extra dollars to work with the Specialized dealer. This assumes that your local Specialized dealer is a decent shop and you would be willing to deal with them. The Specialized dealer here is very good example of a bad bike shop. The guy that owns it is a first class ass and the minimum wage dip shits he has working in there wouldn't know a bike form a airplane. I would rather take a beating than walk in the place.

If you look at the used bike, for sure you want to test ride it. Preferably more than just around the block. If it fits good and everything works, there is no damage, it does indeed look like the guy never rode it and you can save $100 it may be a good deal for you. You have to decide what your budget can handle. Being your first mountain bike, If you can spring for the new one I think it would be worth it for you to work with a good local dealer.

Edit: Try posting on the Specialized forum and see if the guys there can give you some sizing advise.

·
Registered
98 Posts
yeah a 19 might be a bit big. im 5'9 and have a 17 specialized rock hopper, my friend is 5'11 and has a 17 as well (he just needed a longer stem) its probably a personal thing, i like a smaller bike they feel a bit more nimble and easier to balance. I say go to your LBS and try both sizes and see which one gits you better.

id say you could find a better deal....but if you can talk him down in price and your sure its in good condition....260 would be worth it (but i say definelty try a 19 and 17 first before anything riding a bike that doesnt quite fit right is miserable).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually how did the 19in feel in the LBS, I'm 5'9 and ride a 19", but that feels good for me. I have a friend the same height and he rides a 15", so I would say it is more personal preference than anything else, but then again I like steel, so go with what feels right, and I would have to agree with everyone else, unless he is willing to to drop down to around 150.00-200.00 max I would just buy new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys ROCK man. I called the guy up in the morning before I met with my client to see if he would budge on the price but he wouldn't give in. I didn't want to waste our time which I made him aware of that so he wouldn't be waiting around for me after I was done working.

But now I have to dish out $140 for a new alternator for my car! On my way back home my battery light stayed on the whole time. Battery isn't even a year old yet. I had to use my windshield wipers for a bit and they were slooow.

Anyways, I'll go down to my LBS and try out some bikes there tomorrow after I fix my car. I really want to start riding now. My butt has been too lazy not doing anything physical lately :( Thanks again guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.