Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at lower end full suspension bikes (1500-2000ish) and find that it seems more and more companies are moving away from 27.5 on L and XL size bikes. Not saying I cant find anything, but it seems like there is more of a push for 29. Ive never owned a 29, but have test rode a few and prefer the 27.5. Anyone else feel the industry is starting to push the 29 more and more for certain sizes?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Seems like most people are going for 29er so that's what manufactures are going to supply. I'm 5'9" and ride a medium but prefer 29er wheels even though I'm still on 27.5 at the moment.

My next bike a few years from now will be 29 unless we're switching to 28.25 by then.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I don't really know if its from the riders or the manufacturers that you are seeing dwindling numbers of 27.5'. I have both but on most occasions, I prefer my 27.5 bikes over my 29ers. Both ride really well but the 27.5ers just feel faster on most terrain and are definitely quicker handling, which requires more skill.
On the flip side, if you are a manufacturer, its all about sku's, meaning that you have to stock parts for 27.5ers and 29ers, with subcategories within each size. So I believe its really driven more by the manufacturers then the riders, but yes, it does seem that they will be harder to come by in the future.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
My 100mm 29er has more overlap with my 140mm 27.5 bike than I expected.

I think I could have bought a 120mm 29er and it would work better than both my current bikes, and still be fun to ride. I dont think its a conspiracy or some crazy market insider push. The new 29ers really are very good. And fun.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don’t think it will disappear either.

But for whatever reason (sales, rider preferences, manufacturers, etc), they do seem to be dwindling.

The same is true in components from what I’ve seen. Ive been lurking for deals on either a new fork, or new wheelset. And new or used, there are better prices on 27.5 forks and wheels than there are for 29’er variants of the same stuff.

I’ve also been keeping an eye out for a used bike for a buddy getting into the sport. And there are way more deals for 27.5 than 29, at least where I am. Which I think shows to some extent that the 29ers are just more in demand.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
275 will hopefully stick around.

For the type or riding I do I prefer the 275. Just spent a day on my very dialed 29" bike. Its a great bike. Fits me very well. On the straight stuff its faster. But if I had to choose I'd go 275.

My 275 feels more precise and nimble despite being a heavier build and longer travel. On the tight steep corners the front wheel - well, I feel I'm very connected to it. It goes exactly where I want it. Gets up to speed faster. Seems to handle tighter, techie trails better and that's the stuff I like to ride.

Almost certain my next bike will be a 275.

A 275 with the newer, heavier duty 2.6" tires suit my riding conditions very well.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
27.5 or 650b bikes are naturally/generally more flickable/fun

YMMV

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,737 Posts
I did demos of a whole bunch of 120-130 mm travel 29ers over the last two years: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/s...-429-santa-cruz-tallboy-yeti-sb-45-yeti-sb100

But I ended up getting an 160mm travel HD4 with 27.5" wheels. The 120-130mm travel 29ers were great overall, but the longer travel 27.5 bikes seemed a little more capable while still feeling nimble enough for all sorts of riding. Longer travel 29ers were more capable but felt like they didn't like to turn.

·
All fat, all the time.
8,703 Posts
They need to keep the sales rotations going.
27.5 is not cool now.... They will push the 29 again for a bit.
Then back to 26" in about 5 years, then eventually back to 27.5.
And people will keep on upgrading....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
don't worry, 28.375 will be along shortly, it's the new perfect size as it blends the best of 27.5 and 29 together without the downsides of either.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
They need to keep the sales rotations going.
27.5 is not cool now.... They will push the 29 again for a bit.
Then back to 26" in about 5 years, then eventually back to 27.5.
And people will keep on upgrading....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
27.5 rolled out in 2007, so 13 years later we're still using it and it still accounts for a significant portion of sales.

29ers came out in 91 but really were shelved for 10 years until they slowly came back as viable mountain bikes. So they've been going steady for 19 years. Just very recently did anyone bother to fix their geometry issues.

... you really think that's moving too fast just for the sake of sales?

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Just because some bike shops carry less 27.5...does not mean that its being "phased out". Less trendy...yes...phased out...nope.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts