Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase either a Niner Rip in size large, or a Tallboy in XL. I am 6'3" and 230 pounds looking to be at around 200 pounds eventually. Most of my riding is for daily exercise...single-track desert style with packed dirt and gravel on top. There are a few places where I get into bigger stones, along with 1 rock garden. I am out daily from anywhere from 80 minutes to 3+ hours. I posted in the 29er page and decided the RIP sounds good but the Tallboy also has awesome reviews.

·
Registered
174 Posts
tallboy

not at all. im on an xl, 6 foo 4 215 or so. i ride technical, rocky, rooty singletrack and absolutely love the tb. had it since november. lots of choices out there though. best way to do it is to demo the bikes. good luck.

·
Registered
314 Posts
im STRONGLY considering one and i weigh closer to 300lbs. i may wind up getting the shock pushed, but i want it mainly for xc riding.

as has been said many times, weight is the biggest factor on wheels. im sure, from the SC dealers ive talked to, the frame will be fine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your fine. SC tests and thrashes these things at far heavier riders than you. They better be able to handle it. I'm 240 and in the middle of building a TB up. I have had several discussions with SC about TB and my weight and they all end the same way. Just buy the damn thing already. :) So I did

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as a build goes does this seem reasonable, or am I missing something important? This bike is going to be purely for exercise....just going to have fun while doing it.

Santa Cruz Tallboy X.7 2X10 Signature Complete Bike (2011)

Specifications:
•Frame: Santa Cruz Tallboy
•Fork: RockShox Reba RLT 29er, White, 100mm
•Headset: Cane Creek ZS-3 Upper/XXIIc Lower Tapered
•Bar: TruVativ Stylo Race Low Rise, 680 x 20mm
•Shifters: SRAM X.7 Trigger
•Brakes: Avid Elixir 5 w/ 160mm rotors, Black
•Grips: SRAM
•Chain: SRAM PC-1031
•Crankset: SRAM S1400/X.7 2X10, 175mm, 26-39T
•Bottom-bracket: SRAM GXP
•Cassette: SRAM PG-1050, 12-36T
•Front Derailleur: SRAM X.7 2X10
•Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.7 2X10
•Rear Shock: Fox RP23
•Seatpost: TruVativ Stylo Race
•Saddle: WTB Speed V Comp
•Skewers: SRAM
•Tires: WTB Exiwolf Comp, 29 x 2.3"
•Tubes: Presta
•Wheelset: SRAM 406 hubs, DT Swiss Champion spokes & Brass nipples, WTB SpeedDisc 29er rims
•Pedals: not included
•Includes: Shock Pump & Grease Gun
•Travel: 4"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This one is 120mm...I question if this is more bike than I need.

•Frame: Santa Cruz Tallboy
•Fork: Fox F29 RLC FIT Tapered, 15QR, Black, 120mm
•Headset: Cane Creek Custom Tapered
•Stem: Easton EA70
•Bar: Easton EC70
•Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M770-10
•Brakes: Avid Elixir CR w/ 160mm rotors
•Grips: Lizard Skins Charger
•Chain: Shimano HG-94
•Crankset: Shimano XT M770-10, 24-32-42T
•Bottom-bracket: Shimano XT (included w/ crankset)
•Cassette: Shimano XT M771-10, 11-36T
•Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M771
•Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT-10 M773 Shadow
•Rear Shock: RockShox Monarch 3.3
•Seatpost: Thomson Elite
•Saddle: WTB Silverado Team
•Skewers: DT Swiss Rear
•Tires: Maxxis Crossmark, 29 x 2.1", folding
•Tubes: Presta
•Wheelset: DT Swiss 350 hubs / DT Swiss Competition spokes / Mavic TN 719 rims
•Pedals: not included
•Includes: Shock Pump & Grease Gun
•Travel: 4"

·
Registered
422 Posts
part-time bike salesperson here, 210 geared up, TB on the way for my birthday next month. I think you'll be ok with either build, but I'm prejudiced in favor of the Fox fork for big guys. And, be prepared to buck up for a 36-spoke rear wheel at some point. I have a Niner EMD, really like them too. You will be happy either way, I think. Enjoy. Our shop sells SC, I wish we sold Niners as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You are going to want the build with the 120 fork and 15mm thru axle. The stiffness of the fork will be noticed. The wheels on that build are better for a big guy as well.

You will love it, best bike I've ridden to date and loving every ride on it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
+1 on the 120/XT build. Especially for the 15mm thru axle up front.
210lbs on my large TB picked up on 3/1/11.
Two rides so far, and loving the handling. Thinking the fork and shock can be dialed a little more but I'm gonna break it in for about 10hrs before I start futzing.
Your gonna love it!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm 6'2.5", long legs/arms, and 225 geared up and am hoping to be picking up my TB next week. I test rode the RIP and JET, both in size large via demo renting. If I slammed the seat back on both they were ridable. Purely comparing spec geometry, it appears the XL TB is situated between the Niner L and XL and thusly should be the right size.
I am getting the XT/Fox Talas 120/15mm with it as well. I'm getting very excited. Concerns for CF should be wiped away. CF has come a long ways. I've been beating the snot out of my Trek Fuel 98 OCLV for the last 6 years without any problems. I don't do any jumps over 3 ft either but that is more for my own safety then that of the bike. :)

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
314 Posts
TFitz said:
part-time bike salesperson here, 210 geared up, TB on the way for my birthday next month. I think you'll be ok with either build, but I'm prejudiced in favor of the Fox fork for big guys. And, be prepared to buck up for a 36-spoke rear wheel at some point. I have a Niner EMD, really like them too. You will be happy either way, I think. Enjoy. Our shop sells SC, I wish we sold Niners as well.
if i can weigh in from the super heavyweight perspective:
i currently ride a niner emd and, while i love the thing for climbing, its got to be one of the most uncomfortable decenders iver EVER ridden. nothing against niner, id even consider buying an all mtn niner if fox would make a 160 niner fork. but for my money, the aluminum is just too rigid for clydes. honestly, my surly was more comfortable descending.

again, i just want to re-iterate, i love the company and i think they are doing great for the sport. ive talked to their reps numerous times, everyone has been very nice and very helpful, i just think their alum rides really, REALLY hard.

my $.02

·
Registered
240 Posts
SR.****** said:
:) All of the excellent replies are much appreciated.

:D I ended up ordering a 2010 RIP
Let usk know what you think. I'm leaning towards a Tallboy ( 6'4" 250 lbs), but I was only able to ride it around the parking lot.

End of April a LBS is having a Niner demo day and early May another LBS is having a Santa Cruz demo day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.