Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a new '05 Trance 4 and swapping/upgrading all the components to higher end stuff. I've searched this forum and not found answers to a couple concerns/questions:

1. Everyone says the Trance frameset is the same for all models (T1, 2, 3, 4), but I'm noticing in photos that the '05 T4 rear triangle appears to have V-brake mounts welded on, where the T1, 2, and 3 do not, which makes me wonder if there are other (geometry, weight, etc.) differences. Anyone know for sure?

2. Does the '05 T4 frame easily accept disc brakes?
a. Is an IS brake caliper mount welded onto the T4 rear triangle, just like the T1, 2, and 3 frames?
b. Will a disc brake rear wheel drop into place without any mods, spacers, etc.?
c. Are welded mounts for the securing the hydraulic line provided (on the left side of the triangle), just like the T1, 2, and 3 frames?​

3. Anyone know the actual rear travel of an '05 Trance with Fox Float R shock? According to Giant, the Trance frameset has 4.2" rear travel capacity, but I've seen elsewhere that the Fox Float R shock has 100 mm (3.9") travel on Trances.

Regards,

Keith Q.

·
I ride bikes
229 Posts
The only difference in the frames would be the color of the paint and on the T4 there are V-brake bosses on the rear triangle. The seperate Trance frame that is sold also has the v-brake bosses. All have disc mounts and guides from what I've seen - a guy at a race this past weekend was riding a Trance 4 frame with Hayes HFX 9 hydraulics. Disc wheels have the exact same spacing as non disc wheels. Rear travel is 4.2" which is about 106mm and the forks are 100mm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts