Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok its time to change my 2 bikes, SC Bullit and a Kona caldera for 1 "do it all" bike.
Something with the same travel as the bullit and something way lighter than my 42 pounds bullit. SO the chances were intense 6.6, nomad and Iron horse 6point6 or even better 6point8.

Here in my country (ecuador-southamerica) I can get a really nice nomad with coil rear shock at 2870 usd, the intense 6.6 at 3500 usd, the 6point 6 at 4200, and the 6point8 at 5200 usd.

My interest in efficient platforms like vpp and dw links are obvious.

At the begining the nomad was way out of my budget and I was considering the 6point 6 or 6point8 because Ironhorse were always been less expensive than "boutique bikes".
Now, with those prices, my 1rst options is the nomad (and 1400-2400 usd cheaper than the dw ironhorse link bikes).

The nomad will come with all the components that I want and choose, with the ironhorse 6point something I should change to a coil fork (Im 235 pounds) so that means more $ to be spend...or invested.

I dont care to put more $ if its not more than 1000 usd, but 1400 or 2400 more!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What happen Ironhorse!! With those prices Im going to get the nomad for sure. To sad cause I want to try the dw link, good coments, but not enough to justify to be be in bankrupt.

Just my comment.
PS: Im not in love with nomad looks, but maybve it will be growing on me.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
not sure where/how you got a price of $2870 for a nomad complete, but a similarly spec'd nomad with the X0 AM build is about $5100, not much difference in price from a 6.8

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, obvious the nomad is not equipped with x0 and 36 talas as the 6point8 but the componentry is very good LX/XT + 66 light eta + coil rear shox, perfect for me, the "lowest end" 6poin4 is similar in price but I may change the rear shox, the front fork, rims maybe, taking it up to $3500 EASILY.

Im pretty sure the ibex is a very good bike, but spp as the bullit, I need to change of platform.

·
TurnURComputerOff&GoRide
91 Posts
I went through a similar search about 7 months ago.
I ended up getting an Intense 6.6 and am very happy.

Between the Nomad and 6.6 - most places let you spec either with whatever components you want - putting the same spec on each of them had it to aound within $100 between the two.
A reasonably good spec on either should set you back between 3500 to 4500. You can get an Intense with fairly low spec for around 2900 - but it seems like a bit of a waste to take a great frame and stick lower end stuff on it.
Try finding stores that do both brands to compare like www . rbikes . com They will build anything, but list out incrementally more expensive specs on both brands - which is great for giving you a web site to browse with specs and basic price to price comparison between a proposed spec level and bike type.

It's a personal thing, but to me the Nomad is ugly and I was not about to drop that much money on something I fundamentally didn't like the looks of. Some people love the look of it - not me.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
I have a friend with a 6.6 who loves it, and I have seen it perform well on many rides with him. I have never heard anything bad about the Nomad that wasn't related to someone's preferences, no performance issues. I have owned three Iron Horses (an SGS sport, Yakuza Waka-Gashira and currently a Yakuza Kumicho) and they are a great value in a starter bike. If you are looking to buy The One Bike, though, I'd go with a more established name. I'm in the process of divesting myself of the IHs, with the SGS broken and unfixable because IH doesn't have the parts for them, the Waka sold and about to be replaced with a Kona Coiler Deluxe and the Kumicho will do another season for me and then it's parts will swap onto a VP-Free or a Transition Dirtbag. Iron Horses are a good stepping stone, but if you're going all in on one bike I wouldn't put my money on an IH. Another suggestion is Transition bikes, the new Covert model or the Preston FR sound like they might also fit your requirements: http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/index.cfm. My wife has a brand new Bottle Rocket and it's a well-built little tank, and Transition has a rabid and growing following.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Generally I would put the Nomad and 6.6 in the same category, but one thing has always bothered me about the Intense...a 7.875 rear shock. I'm a firm believer in having a longer stroke shock for a given amount of travel whenever possible. The shock usually lives longer, the damper often performs a little better, and the overall feedback from the suspension is easier to tune. This does not make the Intense or other bikes with similarly higher leverage ratios a bad thing, but when given a choice, I'll always go with a less aggressive stroke to travel ratio.

We sell Transition at our shop, and they are good bikes. I would pass on a Dirt Bag, however, if any serious and longer trail riding is important. That frame is one heavy mofo and has a very high rising rate with a relatively short 7.875 X 2.25 shock. It has little plushness for small bump compliance on the trail compared to most other designs with 7" of travel. Where the Dirt Bag does shine is as a hardcore FR bike. That strong rising rate pays off for taking big hits from hucks, gaps, and jumps, and that's really what the Dirt Bag is made for. A buddy has one that we built up last year, and he absolutely kills on it for FR stuff.

Yeah, I have a Nomad, and I love it...but there are some other really good bikes out there too. Pama, I agree with your selection group there, as I would probably stay with VPP, DW, or Maestro suspension designs at the moment. All of these dual link suspension designs seem to work extremely well...especially with the right rear shock.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, know what you mean.

Hardtails Are Better said:
TNC, whacha think about the Bottle Rocket? I love it on paper, but am a little worried that it'll be a bit of a PITA for all day rides. Thoughts?
We haven't had any BRs at our shop. I notice Zachdank was riding one, and that indicates to me that it ain't no trail bike.:D But honestly I don't know the frame weight or real world build spec as to how it would work out as a burly trail bike.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
TNC, whacha think about the Bottle Rocket? I love it on paper, but am a little worried that it'll be a bit of a PITA for all day rides. Thoughts?
I'm not TNC, but my wife has a BR: it's chunky. It's a snappy, short travel DH bike. Uphill, it pedals suprisingly well for it's weight, however it's made for lift park and shuttling. It might be trying for all day epic trail rides. Her build is 40lbs with 66RC2X, Transition wheels (and all of their parts), Juicy 7s and a DHX 5.0 coil.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I'm fine with hauling around a heavy bike if it'll be a fun bike to ride. The boys at Transition think it'll work, but they're probably a little biased. :D I figure I can build it to 35# with a Roco TST, 36 Vanilla, and some decently light parts.

·
..of the masses..
94 Posts
hardtail, while im all for transition, my next bike is gonna be a covert, but if you want a peddable biggish bike that is flickable, how about the canfield balance? its as heavy but probably more comfortable than a bottle rocket on the longer rides. pretty versatile bike. does not have the slopestyle angles and numbers but still very manoeuvrable.

anyway, just a thought. sorry for the derail. to the OP: heck, if looks are all that are holding you back, then go for the Nomad. it seems like a good deal you are getting on it! its a pity about the 6 point 6 prices though. that one seems like a great bike.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
Yup, I got a quote of $1600 for the 7point frame, $1700 for the 6point from Performance. I went with an Intense Uzzi vpx for $1600.

I don't know why anyone would pay that for an IH, at those prices there are so many good options.

Try Dave at Redstone Cyclery for Intense bikes, I heard 6.6 were discounted as well??? Dave has a 6.6 w/ a DUC 32, just over 30 lbs, and its a killer ride for sure.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Man those prices in the US are awesome,over here in Germany one does just get a Giant Reign frame (NOT the X, but the regular reign). An Intense UZZI frame costs like 3000$.

It really stinks. I am going to get an SX Trail.
Or I should import something from the US, or elsewhere. Even with shipping and customs it would be a lot cheaper.

A NOMAD with a fox float rear shock in the US is exactly as expensive as a Giant Reign in Germany.:madman:

Greetings Znarf

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
TNC said:
Generally I would put the Nomad and 6.6 in the same category, but one thing has always bothered me about the Intense...a 7.875 rear shock. I'm a firm believer in having a longer stroke shock for a given amount of travel whenever possible. The shock usually lives longer, the damper often performs a little better, and the overall feedback from the suspension is easier to tune. This does not make the Intense or other bikes with similarly higher leverage ratios a bad thing, but when given a choice, I'll always go with a less aggressive stroke to travel ratio.

We sell Transition at our shop, and they are good bikes. I would pass on a Dirt Bag, however, if any serious and longer trail riding is important. That frame is one heavy mofo and has a very high rising rate with a relatively short 7.875 X 2.25 shock. It has little plushness for small bump compliance on the trail compared to most other designs with 7" of travel. Where the Dirt Bag does shine is as a hardcore FR bike. That strong rising rate pays off for taking big hits from hucks, gaps, and jumps, and that's really what the Dirt Bag is made for. A buddy has one that we built up last year, and he absolutely kills on it for FR stuff.

Yeah, I have a Nomad, and I love it...but there are some other really good bikes out there too. Pama, I agree with your selection group there, as I would probably stay with VPP, DW, or Maestro suspension designs at the moment. All of these dual link suspension designs seem to work extremely well...especially with the right rear shock.
Interesting, my new Reign X1 has the same size shock. Seems short for the kind of bike it is. Makes the ratio ~3:1, not crazy high, but like you said, lower can be better. I can't comment on the ride yet (bike is sitting waiting for its first ride, too snowy right now)

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
hagar said:
hardtail, while im all for transition, my next bike is gonna be a covert, but if you want a peddable biggish bike that is flickable, how about the canfield balance? its as heavy but probably more comfortable than a bottle rocket on the longer rides. pretty versatile bike. does not have the slopestyle angles and numbers but still very manoeuvrable.

anyway, just a thought. sorry for the derail. to the OP: heck, if looks are all that are holding you back, then go for the Nomad. it seems like a good deal you are getting on it! its a pity about the 6 point 6 prices though. that one seems like a great bike.
I don't really like the geo, and I can't afford one anyway. Thanks though.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
IH has the dw-Link exclusive.

I'm not saying here that the dw-Link is better than any monopivot or link bike.

But if you want to ride a real dw-Link for whatever reason and don't want the carbon fiber Ibis, you have to buy an Iron Horse to ride a dw-Link.

I'd like to see a more cutting edge metalwork with a dw-Link but it doesn't exist.

Also IH has really refined the geometry shock options and weight this year.

So the Iron Horse exclusive with metal dw-Link gives them the ability to charge competitive prices with others at the higher side of the price market.

At least they can set higher prices for the new model "early adapter" customers this time of year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.