Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I've been on a search for a bike for a long time. Something not too expensive, but something that won't break if I abuse it. My budget has gotten increasingly smaller over this last month due to some unexpected stuff, but I'd still like to get a bike. I was looking at the Iron Horse Yakuza Chimpira from Bicycle Blowout for somethign like $400, but then I heard that the Bakuto was much better at only $150 more. I thought that sounded good, and then I found a used Bakuto on sale for $350. I figured that's probably the bike I'll end up getting. The only problem is, I don't know if it's the right size, and I'm only basing this soon to be purchase on stuff I've heard from a few people. I haven't really heard anyone talk about the Bakuto much, so I figured I'd ask here before I went ahead and jumped in and potentially wasted my money.

Anyways, the first thing I'd like to know is about the size. I know the type of riding I'm goign to be doing will probably affect the size, so I'll go ahead and explain that first. I want to obviously do some trails and light freeriding maybe, along with some urban and DJ, but more importantly, I want the bike to not be a pain in the arse when I want to ride around town or do some XC. I don't even know if this bike is suited for all those types of riding, but I'm assuming it is. If not, I'd like to know that too. Anyways, the Used bike for sale is a 15". I'm 6'2" and about 150. I was originally goign to get a 17" but the 15" looks like it might work too. If anyone has any insight on that I'd appreciate. Just any general opinions on the bike would be great too. Hope I provided enough info.

Thanks,
John

·
Banned
240 Posts
I'm no expert but I DO know that 15" is NOT suited for somebody who is 6'2"

If I was your height I'm thinking 18-19 inches? Somebody correct me on my suggestion, but I'm just trying to say that 15" is too small.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. That's what I was thinking.

But I did find another used bike for sale. It's a 17.5" which I think sounds about right (but I don't know much) and it's pretty spec'd out.

It's a specialized hardrock 05. He's looking fo $600 but I'm trying to talk him down to $550 (same price as the new iron horse) but it appears to have some nice new parts.

Ratings - The Specs

8 - 2005 Silver Medium Specialized Hardrock
9 - Factory Stem and Bars
9 - 8 inch Avid Juicy 7's
8 - 2004 Marzocchi Bomber
7 - Truvativ Holzfeller Cranks with ISIS BB
5 - Primo Meat Tenderizer Pedals
7 - MRP Bones Chain Guide
10 - Brand New Sram Cassette 8 Speed
10 - Brand New Sram X.7 rear Derailleur
10- Brand New Sram X.7 rear Shifter
6 - SDG Comp Seat
10 - Cane Creek Tank Headset
8 - Mag 30 Rear Wheel laced to Shimano XT Hub
9 - Single Track Front Wheel laced to Shimano XT Hub
10 - Bontrager Big Earl Tire in front
5 - Specialized Enduro Tire in back
WTF - Downhill Tube in the back

How's that bike look?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Rock Force said:
Alright. That's what I was thinking.

But I did find another used bike for sale. It's a 17.5" which I think sounds about right (but I don't know much) and it's pretty spec'd out.

It's a specialized hardrock 05. He's looking fo $600 but I'm trying to talk him down to $550 (same price as the new iron horse) but it appears to have some nice new parts.

Ratings - The Specs

8 - 2005 Silver Medium Specialized Hardrock
9 - Factory Stem and Bars
9 - 8 inch Avid Juicy 7's
8 - 2004 Marzocchi Bomber
7 - Truvativ Holzfeller Cranks with ISIS BB
5 - Primo Meat Tenderizer Pedals
7 - MRP Bones Chain Guide
10 - Brand New Sram Cassette 8 Speed
10 - Brand New Sram X.7 rear Derailleur
10- Brand New Sram X.7 rear Shifter
6 - SDG Comp Seat
10 - Cane Creek Tank Headset
8 - Mag 30 Rear Wheel laced to Shimano XT Hub
9 - Single Track Front Wheel laced to Shimano XT Hub
10 - Bontrager Big Earl Tire in front
5 - Specialized Enduro Tire in back
WTF - Downhill Tube in the back

How's that bike look?
that is a pretty nicely specced hardrock. Maybe the best specced hardrock i've ever seen. But i dont know if i'd pay that much for it... it seems a little confused being an Agressive Xc frame with super burly parts like the Holzefeller cranks and Z1 Bomber... For $600 if you know where to shop, you might find a better deal...

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Yea, I agree that's a pretty good bike, much better drivetrain than the Bakuto, sick brakes, seems like a good fork (but I don't know much about marz), nice hubs, nice front wheel, don't know about the rear one. 3 things: 1) Make sure it isn't really beat up and 2) See how little he'll sell it for; he'll probably go to 550, just don't wait to long or someone else will buy it! and 3) If you buy don't be surprised if the cranks die, those things are a POS! If they die, by some Shimano Hone's, they're about 130 at JensonUSA and they'll last you for a long time. Just take out the outer rings.

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Rock Force said:
Well I talked him down to $575 shipped. I think that's a pretty good deal. So how difficult wold some light XC be on this thing?
Yeah, you got a hell of a deal, although you still gotta be ready to accept things that go wrong on a used bike. If the bikes in could condition, you won't find a new bike of similar quality under 1 grand, and if you do, tell me where!

XC? Well it wouldn't be annoying. It would probably be fun most of the time if its less than 30 pounds. Of course don't listen to me, because I don't see why XC on a 10 inch travel 50 pound bike isn't fun.:D :cornut: :arf:!!!!!!! :drumroll:

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
tibug said:
Yeah, you got a hell of a deal, although you still gotta be ready to accept things that go wrong on a used bike. If the bikes in could condition, you won't find a new bike of similar quality under 1 grand, and if you do, tell me where!

XC? Well it wouldn't be annoying. It would probably be fun most of the time if its less than 30 pounds. Of course don't listen to me, because I don't see why XC on a 10 inch travel 50 pound bike isn't fun.:D :cornut: :arf:!!!!!!! :drumroll:
I do XC on my 40lbs bike... It can be fun... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
ohh for gods sake, I REALLY hope you got the 15" I have the 17" that I'm selling because the bike is too big. for DH/FRX its good, but anything else its just...huge! its got a 23.7" toptube. in my signature you can find the one I'm trying to sell. they're a really nice rig, dont buy from bicycle blowout though, I'll never buy from them again!

edit, I'm 6'1" and the 17 was too big.

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
todd_freeride said:
ohh for gods sake, I REALLY hope you got the 15" I have the 17" that I'm selling because the bike is too big. for DH/FRX its good, but anything else its just...huge! its got a 23.7" toptube. in my signature you can find the one I'm trying to sell. they're a really nice rig, dont buy from bicycle blowout though, I'll never buy from them again!

edit, I'm 6'1" and the 17 was too big.
Edit: On second thought, I would probably try to sell it for more than that if I had it. You're price actually isn't that bad. Bring it down to 200$ straight. I like round numbers!

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
tibug said:
230$ for just the frame. Sorry, but that is just not a good deal for the buyer, considering you can get a new 2006 complete bike for just 600$ with much better parts than you could build the frame up from scratch. Well, that's just my opinion. An okay deal would be about 80$ less. Of course, it dependson how much you got it for. Did you pay the msrp or around it, or get it on sale?

Edit: On second thought, I would probably try to sell it for more than that if I had it. You're price actually isn't that bad. Bring it down to 200$ straight. I like round numbers!
you're off your rocker, frame isnt worth even close to $80.00 ! sure you can get the 06 for 600. but even my $200.00 for the frame will be an amazing deal for someone. frame only is so that you can build it up yourself. they way that mine came built, sucked...sucked a lot. but if you have extra parts laying around, this is a serious DH hardtail that if you had all the parts, would cost you $200.00 for a new DH bike. I'm going to wait to sell it. if you want to talk about a ripoff, check out more of pinkbike, theres people selling hardrock frames for more than mine. I mean $400.00 for a 02 norco 125, or $200.00 for a brand new yakuza frame....whares the bad deal in that?

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
todd_freeride said:
you're off your rocker, frame isnt worth even close to $80.00 ! sure you can get the 06 for 600. but even my $200.00 for the frame will be an amazing deal for someone. frame only is so that you can build it up yourself. they way that mine came built, sucked...sucked a lot. but if you have extra parts laying around, this is a serious DH hardtail that if you had all the parts, would cost you $200.00 for a new DH bike. I'm going to wait to sell it. if you want to talk about a ripoff, check out more of pinkbike, theres people selling hardrock frames for more than mine. I mean $400.00 for a 02 norco 125, or $200.00 for a brand new yakuza frame....whares the bad deal in that?
First, I meant 80$ less, so I really meant 150$. Second, I now realize that you got the one with the alivio shifters and derailleurs, right? Not the one with a hone rear derailleur, right? Okay, I changed my mind, that is a good deal if that is what parts came on it. Your reasoning is much better than mine. If those parts came on a bike I bought I wouldm't wan't to sell it with them on it either. Sorry if I put anyone off about buying it.:madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:! Can I buy it?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
tibug said:
First, I meant 80$ less, so I really meant 150$. Second, I now realize that you got the one with the alivio shifters and derailleurs, right? Not the one with a hone rear derailleur, right? Okay, I changed my mind, that is a good deal if that is what parts came on it. Your reasoning is much better than mine. If those parts came on a bike I bought I wouldm't wan't to sell it with them on it either. Sorry if I put anyone off about buying it.:madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:! Can I buy it?
sorry for getting defencive. I had put up a thread for the bike, asking how much to sell it for. I was told no less than $200.00. and to sell it in the range of 200-300 dollars. It's going to be on the market for another week, if it doesnt sell, than I'm pulling it, and re listing in the spring. and I mean, even used its not worth $150.00 when this bike is just as beefy as an imperial or morphine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.