Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
keen said:
Looking @ a used 03' large Team SGS frame for sale. Wondering what size rider this fits best ? I am 6' 4" currently on an XL Bullit. Thanx
I'm 5'11" and riding a large. It is a bit too big for me, but I wanted a lot of seat adjustment and I couldn't get that with the medium. Fun bike.

BTW, large is the biggest - 21" ST, 24" TT, and mine's got a 46" wheelbase with a 7" Boxxer.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
keen said:
Looking @ a used 03' large Team SGS frame for sale. Wondering what size rider this fits best ? I am 6' 4" currently on an XL Bullit. Thanx
dont do it. i am 5'8" 170lb and i flexed (laterally) the rear end in any corner. and i even used upgraded linkage hardware to "fix" the play. you could even see the play in my tire tracks in the corner (front and rear tire never tracked even close to each other. weak).
if your dead set on it i sold mine for 475 with a new rear wheel, bb, new swinger 3-way and the crappo stock headset with reducers. the 5th shock is a joke on this frame as the stress placed on the reducers wears them out instantly. i would not pay any more than that if i were you. in a straight line (dj, huck, skinny) the bike was fine but trail/dh it sucked. you get used to the flex but people would pull away from me in turns unless i railed them in near death mode. and then i would always come out of the turn hot and down slope of the trail....not good form.
its no upgrade from a bullit. i would keep your bullit as 03 sgs rearends are weak and the chainstays break (hence the 04 e13 upgrade). and the 04 upgrade with stock linkage bolts still flexes a lot. bizarre bb size/chainline as well. the only positive was stand over height.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
dream4est said:
dont do it. i am 5'8" 170lb and i flexed (laterally) the rear end in any corner. and i even used upgraded linkage hardware to "fix" the play. you could even see the play in my tire tracks in the corner (front and rear tire never tracked even close to each other. weak).
if your dead set on it i sold mine for 475 with a new rear wheel, bb, new swinger 3-way and the crappo stock headset with reducers. the 5th shock is a joke on this frame as the stress placed on the reducers wears them out instantly. i would not pay any more than that if i were you. in a straight line (dj, huck, skinny) the bike was fine but trail/dh it sucked. you get used to the flex but people would pull away from me in turns unless i railed them in near death mode. and then i would always come out of the turn hot and down slope of the trail....not good form.
its no upgrade from a bullit. i would keep your bullit as 03 sgs rearends are weak and the chainstays break (hence the 04 e13 upgrade). and the 04 upgrade with stock linkage bolts still flexes a lot. bizarre bb size/chainline as well. the only positive was stand over height.
True, the 03 did have a lot of flex. I made some major modifications to the e13 linkage plates. The 04's ended up having the same basic fix I put in to cut the slop. It's 1000% better than it was, but still worse than most.

BTW, I'm still running all the original reducers, bushings, etc for the shock. Without the mods I certainly would have killed them long ago.

I agree totally though that if you want a stiff bike this isn't the right choice. I will say though that it still corners way better than my Bullit. This is probably partially due to the lower BB, but neither is a stiff bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.