Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a lot of Iron Horse discontent on the boards of late, and it seems this recent announcement in BRAIN regarding IH, their now ex-IBD roster, and RS Cycle, indicates the boiling point has been reached.

I asked in my previous post what drove the decision to dump the local bike shops, and put the brand into the hands of one online retailer. I think I have part of the answer.

It seems that the owner of RS Cycle is one Randall "Scott" Weidberg, son of IH parent company World Wide Cycle Supply CEO Cliff Weidberg.

https://209.85.141.104/search?q=cac...ite.co.uk/portal/au/customers/ecommerce.shtml

Supposedly this isn't a big secret, but I couldn't find much in the way of a public ackowledgment of the relation. However, it certainly clears up some head-scratching questions in my mind.

How do you like them apples?

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
makes total sense, though. i'm not sure if this will change things for me as iron horse is sold in a dept. store here and i buy the frames on ebay. if it's the right price, it's right for me.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
saturnine said:
makes total sense, though. i'm not sure if this will change things for me as iron horse is sold in a dept. store here and i buy the frames on ebay. if it's the right price, it's right for me.
Right. I'm not trying to steer anybody away from IH - it's my impression they're selling the same bikes they were a year ago, and that will go on for another year, at least.

I've just been trying to make sense of this sudden exodus of employees, the loss of rights to dw-link, the retailer shake-up, and the general bad vibes.

I do question how the company is going to look one year from now, but that's been pondered ad nauseam in another thread.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's interesting - good detective work.

It's sad when a company can't make it and has to resort to measures like this to continue.

Before my 2006 Azure, the last MTB I purchased was a 2001 Schwinn Moab 2 back when Schwinn was still high-end (before bankruptcy). Now this for IH. Perhaps I am the curse - lol.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
What did I miss? I heard about the exodus, in part, from some contacts I have in the area. That was months ago, so I must have missed much. The last I heard was about the loss of DW, but I didn't know about much else. Any fill in?
Not much more than that... besides the usual internet speculation and grumbling, there have been some surprising comments from ex-IH insiders scattered throughout the various posts, lending a little more credibility to the rumor-mongering.

At this point, it's nothing more than a clash of opinions between all of us "internet CEOs" and the actual company management.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ditto on the good detective work. I'm wondering if this might have something to do
with why DW kicked IH to the curb. So more internet speculation: IH makes some
crappy decisions based on nepotism that give their independent dealers the shaft, and then DW decides it's time to cut ties. Kind of makes sense, doesn't it ?:cool:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
le_buzz said:
I'm wondering if this might have something to do
with why DW kicked IH to the curb. So more internet speculation: IH makes some
crappy decisions based on nepotism that give their independent dealers the shaft, and then DW decides it's time to cut ties.
Dave strikes me as a guy who has a strong sense of ethics, so could imaging him leaving for idealogical reasons, or if he felt the brand was dragging his name down, or if he was being asked to compromise his design, or if he was being low-balled monitarily.

Those are all wild-assed guesses, I really honestly have nothing to support any of that.

I have heard from various folks that the head of World Wide can be abrasive, and that he doesn't necessarily make business decisions in a way that many of his subordinates might expect (or suggest). That's not to say he's wrong - it's certainly his business to run - but it may explain some of what's been going on recently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
trailmeister said:
Does anyone know who will next utilize DW link license in the future? I have an '05 Azure Expert and an '06 MKIII Team.
I know Pivot has the DWLink for sure, they are selling bikes right now with it. But I also think it has been retained by Ibis and maybe IF, too?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.