Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through the March 07 Mountain Bike Action and noticed that Iron Horse doesn't even get a mention in the "Buyer's Guide" which covers all ranges of bikes. Was this an IH choice or has MBA snubbed them again?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
How much advertising has IH done in MBA? Their advertisers seem to have favored nation status as it were. There are many magazines in most industries that have trouble rising above this (or at least appear to).

If there's more to the story if I have absolutely no clue.

JmZ

·
Registered
729 Posts
The buyer's guide has becomed a way to churn out an issue without to much work, a way to have some free time during the holidays. All they do is cut and paste specs from other people. I know some people might find it useful but generally it is a throw away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you!!! I just got the March issue in the mail today, flipped through it, then realized I hadn't seen an Ironhorse anywhere. I went back and looked a bit closer and out of the 200+ bike photos in the magazine, there is only one tiny photo of an Ironhorse on page 24 in the letters section. It's a Sunday, it isn't mentioned by name, and the IH logo is barely legible.

There is no way that this is an accident. Yes, the "buyer's guide" was indeed lame, but don't you think a buyer's guide should at least reflect what people are actually buying? First MBA trashes one of IH's most popular bikes a couple months ago (MKIII), and then this.... I didn't want to believe it, but there must really be something to this "no advertising, no press" rumor.

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me

I never look at MBA, but assuming that other's observations that IH doesn't do a lot of advertising are correct, then I wouldn't be surprised that they'd "overlook" IH. Think about it...their continued existence depends upon advertising revenue. In effect, the advertisers are their customers, much more so than their readers. They're going to do everything they can to keep their "customers" happy and to avoid upsetting them. Put yourself in MBA's position. You test a bike from a company pays you big bucks in advertising revenue. Guess what? You're going to find all kinds of nice things to say about it. You won't lie- you'll just emphasize the positive. Now imagine you are courting a company in the hope that you'll sell them some ads. You wine and dine them, and feature them in your Buyer's Guide. If you don't have any luck selling to them, maybe next time you'll just not get around to featuring their stuff. I dunno if it really all works like this, but I'd be surprised if it didn't. It all comes down to a buck. And that's all I have to say about that.

·
Registered
479 Posts
maybe they had some questions about the bike...but couldn't get a response to an e-mail:D :D :D j/k
the magazines tend to brag on the ones that keep them fed... plus look how far it is from the east coast to the west coast... people tend to think higher of their locals than they do of people thousands of miles away...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.