Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to ride the Mark III over the weekend and was very impressed, but I've heard a couple questions about lateral stiffness with the DW link. I weigh around 195 and I ride aggresive XC in SoCal with a lot of climbing. Has anyone had the chance to spend a lot of time off road on the Mark III? Has anyone ridden it next to the 575 / Reign or Heckler? Any input on the Mark III or how it compares to other bikes in it's class would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm about 195 and I ride an '04 Hollowpoint over some very rough, rocky, root-filled terrain with no problems at all. The bike just sucks it up and asks for more. Some steep, rock/root-filled climbs I had trouble with on my hardtail are a "point and shoot" operation on the HP. Since the MkIII is supposed to be stiffer/stronger than the HP, I don't think you'll have any problems. I know if I needed a new bike today, I'd get a MkIII in a heartbeat ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't had my mkiii very long, but I hit a high-speed hip jump yesterday, and all I could think of for the next 5 minutes of riding was how stiff(laterally) the rear felt when I landed.

The bike just grabbed and turned. I didn't notice any flex at all. Hope this helps.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I have an 04 Hollowpoint and orginally noticed some rear flex over small bumps while climbing, I later realized it was the ligtweight tire I was using that was flexing.

With a new tire in the rear, I have not noticed any more lateral flexing than my previous Trek Fuel (known for thier stiffness).

Check it yourself.

facing the side of the bike grab the top of the seat with one hand and the top of the rear tire with the other and push and pull opposing. Try on different bikes. You'll see the wheel flex, tire flex etc. so make a note of that too.

Described above is a test to check linkage bearing wear, and may not translate to realworld feel, but it is something.

I have noticed my Hollowpoint squat a little in a high speed, high angle tight turn, and that felt amazing! Confidence inspiring. That isn't flex tho.

Mr. P

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shock Setup?

Masher said:
I haven't had my mkiii very long, but I hit a high-speed hip jump yesterday, and all I could think of for the next 5 minutes of riding was how stiff(laterally) the rear felt when I landed.

The bike just grabbed and turned. I didn't notice any flex at all. Hope this helps.
Could you tell me what you weigh and what setiings you are using for the rear shock?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I can tell you my settings

CraterMaker said:
Could you tell me what you weigh and what setiings you are using for the rear shock?
I've had my MKIII about two weeks now. I've done some well-known rough testpiece type rides on it already, the most well known being Mormon/National at South Mountain in AZ (twice), also did Charoleau Gap in Tucson, known as a xc climbing training/grunt/hell ride, on the way up, and a pretty serious drop, rut, steeps filled downhill on the way back down.
The first time down National was the day I picked the bike up from the shop, I only had about 85 psi in the rear, 75 psi in the IFP, and the thing was so plush it was sort of disorienting, I couldn't really tell how fast I was going, and it felt like the rear was moving so much that it seemed to be ??floppy? like spagetti, I can't really describe it too well, it was only after that I noticed I didn't feel any sharp edged bumps or any harshness. It was just that the bike was reacting so fast and smoothing everything out so much it just felt wierd, compared to my trek fuel, which would soak up bumps but you would still feel the impact. I've since done a better job of checking the sag, setting up the damping (rebound was way to high, contributing to a pitch me over the front type of feel on bigger drops), and have settled on about 100psi in the main chamber for my 200lb riding weight (with gear, full 100oz camelbak, etc.) this gives me 1/2" of sag on the stroke, putting it right at the 25% that iron horse recommends for this bike. They finally have a little set-up recommendation now at http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/homepage_links/news_events7.shtml though it doesn't mention the IFP for the air shocks, I imagine it should be at it's minimum also, like the CV/T of the coil shocks, but the listed minumum for the 5th element air's IFP is 75psi.

Anyway, after getting the suspension set up correctly, I could still fly down National, but now the bike feels much more composed. Still feels like I'm floating over stuff, but it feels like I can just hold any line. When I mess up and get off my line it still just holds tight and tracks true anyway. I would have to say the rear end is really stiff. This my first long travel bike, but it's much stiffer than my fuel. I'll try to post a more comprehensive review soon (sort of inadvertently did that here), but I'm liking it so far, climbs well too. Stock seatpost (not an EA-50 as stated on the website) sucks though, won't hold it's angle adjustment, always rotates back on a small G-out, a bump, or sometimes just going over a rut on a climb, torqued it to the 12 N-m on Easton's web site, but after a few slips, the teeth are chewed up now and it's shot. Oddball size at 30.0 also, no one seems to stock in that size, it's "usually ships in two to three weeks". I'll be trying to warranty it though, especially since it's not even the seatpost that was specced, nor is it a comparable equal, it's a "we're too ashamed to even put a model number on it", bottom of the bucket easton post, not the same seat clamp design as the EA50 and EA70 either, probably why it sucks. But I like the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info!

DLd said:
I've had my MKIII about two weeks now. I've done some well-known rough testpiece type rides on it already, the most well known being Mormon/National at South Mountain in AZ (twice), also did Charoleau Gap in Tucson, known as a xc climbing training/grunt/hell ride, on the way up, and a pretty serious drop, rut, steeps filled downhill on the way back down.
The first time down National was the day I picked the bike up from the shop, I only had about 85 psi in the rear, 75 psi in the IFP, and the thing was so plush it was sort of disorienting, I couldn't really tell how fast I was going, and it felt like the rear was moving so much that it seemed to be ??floppy? like spagetti, I can't really describe it too well, it was only after that I noticed I didn't feel any sharp edged bumps or any harshness. It was just that the bike was reacting so fast and smoothing everything out so much it just felt wierd, compared to my trek fuel, which would soak up bumps but you would still feel the impact. I've since done a better job of checking the sag, setting up the damping (rebound was way to high, contributing to a pitch me over the front type of feel on bigger drops), and have settled on about 100psi in the main chamber for my 200lb riding weight (with gear, full 100oz camelbak, etc.) this gives me 1/2" of sag on the stroke, putting it right at the 25% that iron horse recommends for this bike. They finally have a little set-up recommendation now at http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/homepage_links/news_events7.shtml though it doesn't mention the IFP for the air shocks, I imagine it should be at it's minimum also, like the CV/T of the coil shocks, but the listed minumum for the 5th element air's IFP is 75psi.

Anyway, after getting the suspension set up correctly, I could still fly down National, but now the bike feels much more composed. Still feels like I'm floating over stuff, but it feels like I can just hold any line. When I mess up and get off my line it still just holds tight and tracks true anyway. I would have to say the rear end is really stiff. This my first long travel bike, but it's much stiffer than my fuel. I'll try to post a more comprehensive review soon (sort of inadvertently did that here), but I'm liking it so far, climbs well too. Stock seatpost (not an EA-50 as stated on the website) sucks though, won't hold it's angle adjustment, always rotates back on a small G-out, a bump, or sometimes just going over a rut on a climb, torqued it to the 12 N-m on Easton's web site, but after a few slips, the teeth are chewed up now and it's shot. Oddball size at 30.0 also, no one seems to stock in that size, it's "usually ships in two to three weeks". I'll be trying to warranty it though, especially since it's not even the seatpost that was specced, nor is it a comparable equal, it's a "we're too ashamed to even put a model number on it", bottom of the bucket easton post, not the same seat clamp design as the EA50 and EA70 either, probably why it sucks. But I like the rest of the bike.
What model Mark III do you have? I'm looking at the Expert. If you don't mind, I do have a couple of additional questions. Do you have the Pike Race? Did you have to change out the spring for a heavier one? (I'm almost the same weight as you). How do you like the other components (brakes, tires, etc) What other bikes did you try before you bought the Mark III?

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
MKIII rear end is roughly 5X stiffer laterally than the 04 Hollowpoint (which was 2-3X stiffer laterally thatn the 02-03 Hollwopoint) for those of you with Hollowpoint experience.

All of the dw-link Iron Horses are pretty stiff laterally.

Not sure this helps at all, but thats the info!

Dave

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Expert, but with Hope mono M4s and XTR rear d

CraterMaker said:
What model Mark III do you have? I'm looking at the Expert. If you don't mind, I do have a couple of additional questions. Do you have the Pike Race? Did you have to change out the spring for a heavier one? (I'm almost the same weight as you). How do you like the other components (brakes, tires, etc) What other bikes did you try before you bought the Mark III?

Thanks for all of your help!
I have the expert. The Pike Race I initially felt was too soft for me, but I checked the sag and I'm right at 20%. I think alot of the initial too soft feel was due to the rebound being too fast in the back, so when I went off a big drop or down a big steep it would pitch all my weight onto the front. It does seem wierd not to have preload adjust, but you do have the compression adjust right there, easy to get to. I think the too soft feel was from being used to air forks also, sid and a talas, a coil fork is just so much more linear, there's no linkages like on the rear to adjust the spring rate. But to answer your question, I think the spring is the right one for my weight. I haven't taken it apart to see which spring it is. but like I said it gives me the 20% sag. Here's a pic of it too, at least I think it will show up, I attached it... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
CraterMaker said:
I'm about 200 with gear, and I have 90lbs in the small chamber, and 135 in the big chamber. I'm not sure of the actual names Progressive uses for each chamber. :/
The rebound I adjust on the fly to suit whatever I'm doing at the time.

I should probably go with just a touch more pressure in the big chamber.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I felt that the pike had a lot of lateral movement to it. I too have yet to really play with the adjustments on it but I love the adjustable travel feature.

I have noticed a huge improvement in the lateral motion in the rear as well from my 03 HP.

PS. I love the MKIII, I was so happy to have gone from my 03 HP to this.
Well worth the money!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What size is your Mark III?

DLd said:
I have the expert. The Pike Race I initially felt was too soft for me, but I checked the sag and I'm right at 20%. I think alot of the initial too soft feel was due to the rebound being too fast in the back, so when I went off a big drop or down a big steep it would pitch all my weight onto the front. It does seem wierd not to have preload adjust, but you do have the compression adjust right there, easy to get to. I think the too soft feel was from being used to air forks also, sid and a talas, a coil fork is just so much more linear, there's no linkages like on the rear to adjust the spring rate. But to answer your question, I think the spring is the right one for my weight. I haven't taken it apart to see which spring it is. but like I said it gives me the 20% sag. Here's a pic of it too, at least I think it will show up, I attached it... :)
Thanks for all the feedback. What size is your Mark III and how tall are you?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Masher said:
I'm about 200 with gear, and I have 90lbs in the small chamber, and 135 in the big chamber. I'm not sure of the actual names Progressive uses for each chamber. :/
The rebound I adjust on the fly to suit whatever I'm doing at the time.

I should probably go with just a touch more pressure in the big chamber.
Drop the CVT chamber pressure to 50-70 lbs and you will get a more compliant suspension over the little stuff, and also less fatigue, without any energy loss in the suspension. Overall, the lower pressure will actually conserve rider energy due to less fatigue.

dw-links really dont use a lot of CV/T pressure.

have fun!

Dave

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
CVT same as IFP? 75min or 50 min psi?

_dw said:
Drop the CVT chamber pressure to 50-70 lbs and you will get a more compliant suspension over the little stuff, and also less fatigue, without any energy loss in the suspension. Overall, the lower pressure will actually conserve rider energy due to less fatigue.

dw-links really dont use a lot of CV/T pressure.

have fun!

Dave
Just want to make sure, the CVT is what they label the IFP chamber on the 5th element air? It has printed 75psi min pressure, is it okay to go down to 50? Just want to be sure I'm on the same page here with you.

Thanks,
Don

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
Page 4 of the Progessive 5th Air Manual states 50-125 psi in the IFP chamber.

The main spring is 75-150 psi.

Hope that helps,

Winston

DLd said:
Just want to make sure, the CVT is what they label the IFP chamber on the 5th element air? It has printed 75psi min pressure, is it okay to go down to 50? Just want to be sure I'm on the same page here with you.

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
look at the picture in the guide, funny

Winston said:
Page 4 of the Progessive 5th Air Manual states 50-125 psi in the IFP chamber.

The main spring is 75-150 psi.

Hope that helps,

Winston
Yeah, I see that. It's funny 'cause the accompanying picture on the same page of the guide shows the writing on the shock that says IFP Pressure 75-125psi. Considering the guide is from 2003, you'd think they could have made some corrections by now... Just a little consistency, it's all I'm asking for.

·
Registered
216 Posts
DLd said:
Yeah, I see that. It's funny 'cause the accompanying picture on the same page of the guide shows the writing on the shock that says IFP Pressure 75-125psi. Considering the guide is from 2003, you'd think they could have made some corrections by now... Just a little consistency, it's all I'm asking for.
I couldn't figure out where the confusion of the different min pressure values came from. I read the manual and that why I put 50 in mine. I started to question myself when I saw everybody putting 75lbs in.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
stosh said:
I couldn't figure out where the confusion of the different min pressure values came from. I read the manual and that why I put 50 in mine. I started to question myself when I saw everybody putting 75lbs in.
Yeah, printing 75psi right on the shock can be misleading if it's wrong...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.