Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody remember the Iron Horse FS Works frames from about 1993? I was wondering if anyone still has one. If so I would love to see some pics.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Front page from a 1993 Iron Horse catalogue/calendar:

1993 Iron Horse FS Works specs

In fact this was the first or one of the first frames disigned specifically for the Downhill. Designed by Marzocchi. Built by Verlicchi, an Italian company known for motorsport products. Verlicchi also built the S-Bike.

Frame sold through various brands.

Page from a Sintesi catalogue showing their ti/bronze Bromont:

A derived frame for Haro with the Haro typical concave top tube:

The S-Bike:

[/quote]

- Melvin

·
Suddenly feeling my age..
165 Posts
kkst said:
Does anybody remember the Iron Horse FS Works frames from about 1993? I was wondering if anyone still has one. If so I would love to see some pics.
There was one for sale on Fleabay recently. Quite cheap too.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Isn't it the earlies were what you call "crap"? I do know some modifications were made at some point, like thicker wall tubing for the rear swing and a gusset for the downtube/head was added.

BTW didn't Cullinan have a non-production front? He had a 1/4 head, the production bikes 1/8.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Right, like I said Frank The Welder had to build custom front triangles for the entire team as the verlicchi stuff had bad geometry and was poorley constructed. 90-94 were the years that Frank pretty much re-built all the bikes for every DH pro in Durango due to how poorly all non-yetis were designed and constructed....

·
Registered
676 Posts
Poorley constructed ....I am surprised as it looks actually pretty well made. You are saying he built probably all dh pro bikes in the Durango area. Guess not H-Balls as it is pretty difficult to weld up carbon :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Elevation12 said:
Poorley constructed ....I am surprised as it looks actually pretty well made. You are saying he built probably all dh pro bikes in the Durango area. Guess not H-Balls as it is pretty difficult to weld up carbon :D
Look at the difference between the production bikes posted, and the scan of Cullies worlds bike. The worlds bike IS wellmade. HB was always a really skilled hack-job kind of guy, and his early 90's bikes were actually stock Miyata's that he cut up and added suspension componets to. The carbon bike you are thinking off was a similar deal, except Miyata did have a production version. Everything from the shock mount back was made for HB by Arlo Englund.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,919 Posts
No he's right, verlicchi frames weren't well made. Chris Lawrence who was a pro-elite DH racer back in the period (most well known today for freeride movies) and a local at the time, showed up to a half dozen sunday group rides over the course of a summer on his team bike, and every couple weeks, the frame had more and more gussets added to it as he kept breaking the swingarm around the pivot area. He kept having to dismantle his bike, send the frame back to verlicchi for repairs, and then reassembling it. As I recall, he broke the right side first, got a gusset welded to the swingarm on that side only, then broke the left side, and got a gusset welded into place on that side. Also I'm pretty sure marzocchi only designed the rear shock (and manufactured it), not the whole frame.

·
Registered
676 Posts
SuspectDevice, DeeEight,

I didn't say someone is not right, I did say I am surprised. Finishing looks great. I have seen A LOT bikes as reference, the Verlicchi being superior to many. It seems the problem presented lays in the durabilty department. Haven't ridden a single meter with this one and I also haven't many stories heard on it, but I do know that the are many early full suspensions/aluminium bikes that have a durability issue.

Anyway for '95 Verlicchi increased the wall thinckness of the swing from 2 to 2.5mm and took measures to reinforce the inside. Mine is a later one and though not being built by FTW I still would be surprised if it doesn't survive my friends ARC AS.

What I got is that it is Marzocchi designed, Verlicchi built. Of course I weren't at the spot, so with you saying not-zocchi the level of Marzocchi involvement became a bit vague.

Thanks for your comments anyway. Interesting to take notice of experiences from the testing ground. Also liked the writing on H-Ball's bikes, though I knew most. By seeing my signature you could easily conclude what is my favourite. A Verlicchi whether good or bad won't undo that.

- Melvin

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,919 Posts
lol, we need Julianna in here to translate... she still hang out in the passion forum ?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi lethal93a,

By seeing the cranks I realize it has seen quite some miles. You're planning a resto for it? I would be willing to help you out on decal repros.

It seems yours differs from mine in that; there is cablerouting for downpull, the cablestops are silver and there is no gusset for the downtube.

- Melvin

·
Registered
7 Posts
this frame itself dont have many miles on it all the componets do, I bought the frame and fork seperate and took all the parts from my trek 9000 and put it on that frame, Im going to a local bike shop with it now to see what they think of it, I really dont think ill get rid of it, I like the bike, I would love to find a orignal front shock for it if I keep it instead of the mag 21 I have on there now. if you can set me up with some decals cheep id love to get a set, they were off the bike when I got it, I bought the bike from a guy that owned a bike shop, he took the stock ones off and put his shop name on there.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts