Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am liking the iron horse 7point7. I was wondering if you could use it for a all around bike and climb on it to. I will be doing freeride and downhill. I just want to know if it will climb ok. I will be getting a 15'' frame if that helps.

-Devon

P.S. Have any of you had it and could you tell me what you think of it. :cool:

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
It climbs about as well as a 50# bike can (I bought my 7.3 (same frame) thinking I'd lighten it up... nope, there isn't much weight to be lost, at least not cheaply; the frame without shock weighs about 14#)
It's also a little steep and high bb for going downhill by today's standards.

Keep in mind also Iron Horse is out of business and no warranty or spares are or ever will be available.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Pretty sure Iron Horse bikes are only sold at Walmart and Sears. Which means I wouldn't use one for a paper weight, never mind something where my life might be at stake.
the 7points were from the era when Iron Horse was a real bike company. They've since gone bankrupt and changed hands and the name is all that's left, kind of like schwin

·
2,683 Posts
Iron Horse no longer exists and, yes, their DW link bikes were some of the best bikes of recent years. The 7 point is a great free ride bike and will climb okay considering its weight and travel.

The biggest concern is finding parts for the frame if anything breaks.

G

·
Iron Horse no longer exists and, yes, their DW link bikes were some of the best bikes of recent years.

The biggest concern is finding parts for the frame if anything breaks.
yup i'm hangin on to my 08 MKlll comp like it's gold, since 26'ers are passe now i'm doing my best to keep it in good shape, and no IH is not sold anywhere however the DW link has made it's way on to Pivot and a cpl others.

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
I loved my 7Point. I climbed it everywhere! Ended up selling it when the company died in favor of a bike with a good company. Apparently, I chose poorly again because Titus tanked as well. But at least they are back on their feet and doing awesome.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah, but Titus discontinued the El Guapo. That is a kick ass bike. A buddy cracked his El Guapo frame and filed for a warranty replacement and they told him, sorry we don't make that anymore. They ended up sending him a shop Guapo frame that was in good working order but was banged up quite a bit. It is apparently another bell tolling in the death of the 26" wheel.

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Yeah, but Titus discontinued the El Guapo. That is a kick ass bike. A buddy cracked his El Guapo frame and filed for a warranty replacement and they told him, sorry we don't make that anymore. They ended up sending him a shop Guapo frame that was in good working order but was banged up quite a bit. It is apparently another bell tolling in the death of the 26" wheel.
I guess we can only hope for a 650b Guapo...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The 7 point was a great bike. Pedalled well for what it was but it was pretty heavy. It was no where near 14# as alluded to above. Depending on the model some came with Mavic 325 rims and lower end hubs, complete with DH tubes. That wheelset although bomb proof was excessively heavy.

The 7 point was also one tough frame, don't recall hearing about any being broken, but someone always seems to know someone, who heard of a guy ...

If you can get a great deal and don't mind lugging around some extra weight go for it. I really liked the DW-LINK IH bikes I rode, but now ride a 140/160 trail/AM bike that weighs 10# less and can handle most of the what the 7Point could and yet climb much easier with less of the bulk.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check out the 6 point as well. That's their all mountain bike. A bit lighter, and certainly more adept at climbing. I put a longer stroke coil shock, 180mm fork, and a 1.5 degree slackening headset on mine. Now it has 7" of travel front and rear with a 66 degree head angle. Kind of transformed it into a Mini-DH/Freeride bike. It weighs about 36lbs so it's not longer as nimble as it was before, but it's easy enough to swap the shock and fork to air units to bring it back down to 32lbs or so.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Check out the 6 point as well. That's their all mountain bike. A bit lighter, and certainly more adept at climbing. I put a longer stroke coil shock, 180mm fork, and a 1.5 degree slackening headset on mine. Now it has 7" of travel front and rear with a 66 degree head angle. Kind of transformed it into a Mini-DH/Freeride bike. It weighs about 36lbs so it's not longer as nimble as it was before, but it's easy enough to swap the shock and fork to air units to bring it back down to 32lbs or so.
Ditto - 6 Point actually has the exact same rear triangle = bombproof and will have the full 7" travel when you go with a coil-over (2.75" stroke) so there is no compromise. You just have to go with the Works angleset, a nice fork (I'm using a coil Lyrik DH) and you have one HELLUVA bike! LOVE mine!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
138 Posts
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

I went the other way, 06 7pt with a later model rear triangle short shocked, with a 160mm X fusion up front. The bike is so much fun to ride. Not the lightest bike in the word but I don't notice it once i'm on the bike had no problem pedaling it all around South Mountain on a recent trip.

al

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I had a 7point & loved it. Was my only trail bike at the time & I did 30 miler's on it every weekend.....it climbs good. I never knew of anybody breaking theirs, but the main rocker bearings were know to ovalize the rocker. This never happened to my 7point but did happen (many times) to my Sunday WC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.