Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for Intel on this event. Signed up for it. Having trouble determining the ratio of pavement, double track, singletrack and crazy hike a bike.

Is a cross bike or hardtail better?

Lastly I'm looking for recommendations on SS gearing. Would likely just leave my CC gears on, 38x18 but worried about some of the climbs...

Thanks.

· Wanna ride bikes?
12,540 Posts

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Is there a RWGPS profile? That should give you the ratio.

I've done it twice and quite a bit of climbing is packed into the 55 miles. And, the finish stretch was a singletrack climb that felt like forever.

Bike choice is tough...I've used my gravel bike both times but seriously considered my FS xc bike on my next run at it.

· Registered
1,501 Posts
Race email came out last nigh with RWGPS links, I feel like I am going gravel bike with 40mm tires since first time doing this and want to maintain true to the spirit of event and original intentions. Suffer time here we come.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a RWGPS profile? That should give you the ratio.

I've done it twice and quite a bit of climbing is packed into the 55 miles. And, the finish stretch was a singletrack climb that felt like forever.

Bike choice is tough...I've used my gravel bike both times but seriously considered my FS xc bike on my next run at it.
They just sent this out.

Look similar to the route that you experienced? Curious to hear that you wanted your FS trail bike. I saw mainly CX bikes in the youtube footage?

· Registered
7,332 Posts
They just sent this out.

Look similar to the route that you experienced? Curious to hear that you wanted your FS trail bike. I saw mainly CX bikes in the youtube footage?
I have a short travel XC bike that can be locked out, and there was plenty of rough terrain on course beyond traditional gravel or service roads. It's a gravel race like none other in my opinion, and I'd have returned this year were it not for my racing a long event down that way this past weekend.

That run-up is no joke, but hopefully Larry's Tavern has a tent and welcoming cheers/shots when you crest the top!

Hey, good luck and please report back with your thoughts and reactions!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.