Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for feedback on this tire.

Just went out to ride the race course here in Santa Fe that will be in the spring. It is super loose dirt and small rocks. I was thinking about the Quasi-moto, but after today's experience, I am rethinking my tire choices. Am wondering if the FireXC Pro would be a better choice for the rear. It would still easily fit the Rush. I hear it has a thick sidewall. Also, one of the members here said it is low volume and has less height that the Quasi. Would this cause it to pinch-flat easier?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have them (Fire XC Pro) on my bike. In 650B. IMHO I would say they are a good all around tire. For the trails around here they handle the soft muddy dirt pretty good.

Tim

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've ridden these tires in many different trail conditions. I love them. The only place I found they lacked was in heavy rock gardens and deep mud. They don't seem to shed sticky mud as much as I would like them too (I'd love tires to ride themselves clean). But in loose packed dirt, sand, hardpacked dirt, wet root they seem excellent. And the price is nice too.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Has anybody run these tires tubeless? I've been running one for a while up front. I'm converting to tubeless for 2010 and was curious of people's experience setting up this tire tubeless.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The FireXC run fine as tubeless, just like the other Panny tires I have tried (Cinder, Rampage, etc). Some people complaining of the smaller volume/firm feel of the Fires with tubes may be pleasantly surprised at how much the tire comes to life after going tubeless with lower pressures.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
salimoneus said:
The FireXC run fine as tubeless, just like the other Panny tires I have tried (Cinder, Rampage, etc). Some people complaining of the smaller volume/firm feel of the Fires with tubes may be pleasantly surprised at how much the tire comes to life after going tubeless with lower pressures.
Cool! I wa also wondering about its tubeless capabilities.

What is your weight and riding conditions? Have you encountered many rocks at speed?
I am wondering how much abuse the sidewalls can take.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
yogiprophet said:
Cool! I wa also wondering about its tubeless capabilities.

What is your weight and riding conditions? Have you encountered many rocks at speed?
I am wondering how much abuse the sidewalls can take.
I don't run them much anymore due to spending most of my time on the full squishy bike, where I like to run larger volume tires, but I remember the Fires did quite well on the HT in most conditions including some moderately rocky terrain. I think they are a bit too square profiled for very rocky technical climbing, I just prefer something not quite so flat that is more coaxable through nooks and crevices. All around a solid tire though.

You might search the forum here, there are a lot more detailed reviews since it is/was such a popular tire.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I've got the 2.1 version of the NeoMoto on the back of my Curtlo and ran it a while on the back of my Rush--it worked reall well and fit fine. No experience with the fire XC--just offering another alternative. Here's a coupla pics of my Rush with 2.1 Neo's:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, the Rush is such a versatile bike.

Thanks for posting up the pics. Those air rotors may not stop the bike very well, but they sure are light ;)

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Heh, yeah--I snapped pics in the midst of putting it together--the rotors didn't rub at all with that setup!

I like the bike pretty well--the wheels went on my Curtlo when it arrived, so the Cannondale's back to 26". It's a 2008, so I had to remove the swingarm brace in order to fit the 650b wheel and I personally wouldn't be comfortable running it that way long term...

...probably sell it eventually, like when the Jamis 650b fullsusser becomes available!

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SteveF said:
Heh, yeah--I snapped pics in the midst of putting it together--the rotors didn't rub at all with that setup!

I like the bike pretty well--the wheels went on my Curtlo when it arrived, so the Cannondale's back to 26". It's a 2008, so I had to remove the swingarm brace in order to fit the 650b wheel and I personally wouldn't be comfortable running it that way long term...

...probably sell it eventually, like when the Jamis 650b fullsusser becomes available!
I have both the older swingarm (which I bought used on Ebay) and the one with the brace that came on my Carbon Rush. I am convinved the brace was nothing more than a marketing decision. The swingarms otherwise are identical and are by far the stiffest part of the bike. Almost all of the flex of the Rush is in the main-frame at the swingarm junction.
FWIW, Cannondale says it is perfectly fine to take off the brace as was confirmed by The Flying Wombat (a MTBR member who raced the Rush at the national level).

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
yogiprophet said:
I have both the older swingarm (which I bought used on Ebay) and the one with the brace that came on my Carbon Rush. I am convinved the brace was nothing more than a marketing decision. The swingarms otherwise are identical and are by far the stiffest part of the bike. Almost all of the flex of the Rush is in the main-frame at the swingarm junction.
FWIW, Cannondale says it is perfectly fine to take off the brace as was confirmed by The Flying Wombat (a MTBR member who raced the Rush at the national level).
Thanks for the info--much appreciated! Another 650b wheelset and tires would certainly be cheaper than a new 650b Jamis...:cool:

If you decide to give the 2.1 Neo a try, I think the only place that has them is KP's site, bikelugs.com...it's a great rear tire and a better than average front one!

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SteveF said:
Thanks for the info--much appreciated! Another 650b wheelset and tires would certainly be cheaper than a new 650b Jamis...:cool:

If you decide to give the 2.1 Neo a try, I think the only place that has them is KP's site, bikelugs.com...it's a great rear tire and a better than average front one!
No problem man...that's what we're here for - to help each other out.

I raced the 2.3 Neo on the front of the Rush to a 2008 XC series win here in NM. Like you said - better than average.
IMO, the Rush is just a better bike with the 650b for many reasons including the perfect BB height after an addition 1/2" with 650b on both sides. I only had it on the front, but I used a 10mm longer shoch that gives it about 140mm of rear travel. I had to file some of the swingarm (I would post a pic but do not know how to reduce the file size) to accomidate the longer shock. I raced and rode it like this for more miles than I care to count....no issues and none expected. It is about a 1mm gap between the seatpost and the swingarm. Shock has a 55mm stroke instead of the stock 45mm. Since it is 10mm longer eye to eye the compressed length is the same as the stock shock.

·
ride more
2,626 Posts
yogiprophet- please figure out how too post a pic of your swingarm mod. On one of my Rush's I had a 140mm lefty max, might have too try yet another Rush with 650b/140mm front and rear.............:thumbsup:

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
yogiprophet said:
... (I would post a pic but do not know how to reduce the file size) ...
Are you on a MS machine? You probably have All Programs/Accessories/Paint

Open Paint, then open your picture or drag it into Paint. From the Paint menu select the Image submenu, then use the Stretch/Skew dialog to reduce both the Vertical and Horizontal to a smaller percent than original. Then Save As "new_name.jpg". Then check the file size to see if it fits the maximum limit to upload to MTBR. If your original picture is another file format possibly just saving the file in Paint without reducing with a .JPG file extension will shrink the file size enough.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Derby!

The best way to use a longer shock on the Rush is to:
1) take off the current shock
2) let the swingarm rest against the seatpost
3) Mark the swingarm with a black marker where it rests on the seatpost to know exactly where to file.
4) take the drive side crankarm off to access the swingarm bolt which is an 8mm hex.
5) Take off the swingarm (this is very easy) make sure you note which way the spacers are oriented. (If your Swingarm (SA) has a brace take it off before taking off the pivot bolt)
6) File the swingarm where it would interfere with the seatpost (SP) in line with the seatpost. Note that I filed the swingarm to mold against the seatpost with the rounded file shown in the picture. I used the smaller round file to fine tune.
7) Put the SA back on and put black marker on the SP and press the SA against the SP to show where you need to file more aluminum from the SA.
8) continue until the shock fits with a tiny amount of space between the SA and SP.

I use a DT Swiss EX200 because it is the best shock by far that I have ever used. I have to use spacers on the SA side because DT Swiss doesn't make a spacer to fit exacty the Rush SA...not a problem at all. The DT has a 55mm stroke. Fox makes a 200mm with a 57mm stroke I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
yogiprophet: I am sooo glad to have read your post! I have a Rush and was considering a slightly longer shock with the same mod to the swingarm. It is great to see that someone else has already tried it!

I'm planning to switch to 650B over the winter. Does any one have experience with a 2.3 Nevegal or 2.3 Neo-moto in the back of a Rush? The examples I've seen run 2.3 front, 2.1 rear. Mine is an '08 and I'm willing to grind away the the brace tabs if I need to.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JDM said:
yogiprophet: I am sooo glad to have read your post! I have a Rush and was considering a slightly longer shock with the same mod to the swingarm. It is great to see that someone else has already tried it!

I'm planning to switch to 650B over the winter. Does any one have experience with a 2.3 Nevegal or 2.3 Neo-moto in the back of a Rush? The examples I've seen run 2.3 front, 2.1 rear. Mine is an '08 and I'm willing to grind away the the brace tabs if I need to.
Grind away JMD, did you know the swingarm weighs more than the main frame. It is a chunk of aluminum....overbuilt for sure.
Funny thing is I posted a pic of this mod in the Cdale forum back in 2007 and nobody hardly mentioned it. The guys here in the 650b/69er forum are much more into experimentation and tweeking their bikes to fit their own needs. I think that is very cool.

BTW, I know the DT Swiss EX 200 shock is expensive as is the Fox, but it is noticable lighter than the Fox with high volume can. The EX 200 comes with a high volume can built into it.

Also, the BB height with the longer shock and 650b Neo-moto front is 13.5" which I think is perfect. The BB would be a little high with a 650b rear also at about 13.8" but as long as it is below 14" I don't have a problem with handling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.