Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,165 Posts
You could, should work fine.

I prefer, recommend and sell the 9spd Shimano flat bar FD over the 10spd version; cheaper and wider cage.

·
cyco biker
62 Posts
Ditto that

banks said:
I prefer, recommend and sell the 9spd Shimano flat bar FD over the 10spd version; cheaper and wider cage.
Ditto on the 9 spd Shimano (FD-453) Flat bar road FD. The other benefit that seems to rise it to the top of the like it list of Mav FD's is the spring is not as strong as the better 10 spd. FD-773. This sounds odd since more $ usually means better working but in this case it's not so true.

On the Mav the cable has to pull the front derailleur from practically underneath the derailleur rather than being a few cm closer to the non drive side of the frame, which would have a much better pull angle but the cable would rub on the shock strut. Because the rear shock strut is sort of in the way, the 453's weaker spring seems to fight the shifting forces at the lever less which feels like an easier shift to larger rings while stlil allowing quick enough returns to smaller rings.

Here's a post 3 glasses of wine concept...:yikes:
Think of that high school physics experiment where you have a lever & fulcrum point w/ 25# on one side & you measure the amount of force it takes to push straight down on the other end of the lever to raise the 25#. Now imagine instead of pushing straight down, you have to push almost directly towards the 25# weight ( & the fulcrums pivot point) to raise that weight. It would take much more force. That's the restricting force scene on the Mav because of that cable pull angle. The FD-453 is sort of like reducing the weight from 25# to 15# requiring less force to lift it yet it still drops back to the ground easy peezy.

Both the 453 & 773 (& probably the IRD Alpina) work great. To me the 453 just FEELS better.

Certainly, with the IRD's cage radius more closely matching that of mountain bike gearing, that is working in it's favor. But it's probably narrower for 10 spd., which makes set up more finicky & the stiffness of the spring is the big question. If you already have a FD on there & switch to the IRD, it'd be awesome if you told the 4'm the comparative results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts