Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have extreme slippage on corners and when wet with IRC Mythos II (2.1")tires? Went on only my second ride with new tires and bike (RM ETSX-10), and it felt like the tires were not gripping at all.

Considering getting some Panaracer Fire XC Pro's instead. Anyone have a similar experience, or is it just my riding? Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same bike (Rocky Mountain ETSX, 2005 model) and these questionable tires came with the bike. I did some research before I bought the bike and couldn't find any really good reviews on this tire. Everyone seemed to agree that they offered limited grip at best. I should have swapped them out when I bought the bike, but hey... live and learn right?

My experience was such that the tire was very fast, with low rolling resistance, but performed poorly in high speed descents and turns. They provide VERY sketchy traction in the turns, and you can forget about using them in loose conditions unless you don't like living anymore. They will bring you down faster than President Bush choking on a pretzel. After two spills, I thought ''dang! is it me?''

Keep them if you don't ride hard, with very few descents and only ride moist hardpack, (mmm... moist!) and want something fast. Otherwise - lose 'em!

Following the trend, I went and picked up a pair of Panaracer Fire XC Pro because all the reviews seem to point back to that tire every time. Jack of all trades and master of none? I don't know about that, but they work a helluva lot better than the IRC Mythos II. I took them on some downhills at Mont Bromont in Quebec, and they hooked up like Crazy-glue! Tight singletrack is a dream as well. Very nice tire! No more crap-your-pants slides and surprise spills. Just solid, reliable, and consistent performance.

I got the wire bead, cuz I felt cheap that day. The aramid bead version is only 100 grams lighter per tire, but 40% more expensive. Maybe next time.

Ride-on my pretties!

Trailbait

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just picked up my etsx-50 a few days ago and it came with these tires. I have come to the conclusion that they absolutely suck. I ride singletrack in NJ and these things just have no grip at all. On both rides there were countless times where I felt like I had very limited control of the bike due to the tires. Mostly when I was descending. I think I'm gonna try the fire xc's and see how they do. I notice alot of people on here seem to recommend em so I think they're worth a shot.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Ice25gt said:
I just picked up my etsx-50 a few days ago and it came with these tires. I have come to the conclusion that they absolutely suck. I ride singletrack in NJ and these things just have no grip at all. On both rides there were countless times where I felt like I had very limited control of the bike due to the tires. Mostly when I was descending. I think I'm gonna try the fire xc's and see how they do. I notice alot of people on here seem to recommend em so I think they're worth a shot.
Well, I've used the XCPro and Mythos (not II) on the rear, and I think there are better tires out there for slippy conditions (rooty/rocky climbs are not uncommon here), the Spider is what I have on now and it's pretty good (bigger volume than the XC Pro and Mythos too).

·
Registered
203 Posts
I too have a new Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 that I have owned for about 6 weeks now. I also experienced the poor lateral traction of the Mythos XCII, as a matter of fact my first test ride of an ETSX the front slipped on me during a light turn and I then crossed the ETSX off of my list at that time, later I obviously came to give the bike another chance and bought one. I found the rear tire to be o.k, but the front was really bad in turns.

The good new is that I recently replace the old IRC's with a new pair of 2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic's. These seem to be a great tire for the bike so far for my riding here on the front range of Colorado.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.