Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be racing in a few months and I am running a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro's right now but it's starting to wear down. I am looking for a new set of tires. Should I go with IRC Mibro or Mythos XC. I want something that will roll faster than the Fire XC's, which I think both would be. I have ridden a mythos xc before and it does excel faster. Some people have told me Mibro is even better. Can anyone please give me your opinion about the two tires in terms of durability and performance? Would running a combination of mibro and mythos be a good choice too?

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
I have a new set of 2.1 Mibros. They are a small 2.1 compared to some. I've only done a couple of fire road / trail ride on them to try them out, then put my 2.1 High Rollers back on to finish them off. I ran them both in the "points forward" front rotating direction - they do indicate the rear should be run in the opposite direction, however.

They are a squarish profile when mounted, and the edging knobs come into play early on, without needing crazy leans to get into contact. I like this trait. Terrain around here at the moment is dry baked clay, sandstone, loose gravel and silty topcoat. Along with a few golf ball / billiard ball rocky sections. I mounted them on my Tomac Taos hardtail, with light tubes.

Cornering in moderate loose topcoat is confident, and they carve nicely without feeling like they might fall off their edge or "tuck." They are not so good in the larger loose stuff - they are small volume after all.

Climbing grip is on a par with other fast knobbies - they are a little stymied by loose stuff, but I'd expect that to improve as they wear a little more (mine were pretty waxy when new). Rolling resistance is good, they build speed quick and need little input to keep it over mid pace.

Rolling resistance felt better than the High Rollers, and similar to Tioga's Red Phoenix 1.9, if you're familiar. I run my tyres as soft as I can, just enough to avoid pinch flats. I noticed a small degree of mush on the back - they are a very supple casing, so I upped the pressure a little.

I can't speak of the Mythos as I've never used them, only the 1.9 Notos XC and the Mibro's.

·
some kind of hero...
543 Posts
hankthetank said:
I'll be racing in a few months and I am running a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro's right now but it's starting to wear down. I am looking for a new set of tires. Should I go with IRC Mibro or Mythos XC. I want something that will roll faster than the Fire XC's, which I think both would be. I have ridden a mythos xc before and it does excel faster. Some people have told me Mibro is even better. Can anyone please give me your opinion about the two tires in terms of durability and performance? Would running a combination of mibro and mythos be a good choice too?
The dreaded tire comparison :eek: ...

I like the Mibro for racing ahead of the Mythos... However I would qualify that by saying it depends on the kind of terrain you find yourself in. Loose stuff would favour the Mythos - and they are reasonable in mud. I weigh in at 180lbs and found the Mibro liked to squirm a bit when pushed in the corners on dry hardpacked clay.

The tires I've found I "disliked" were mostly due to situations where I was on surfaces the tires weren't intended for.

This is really subjective, but either tire is reasonable - focus more on fitness for racing - get used to the tires :thumbsup: .

Good luck
:cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. Pricepoint is offering special deals on the Mibro and Mythos. I wanted to see if it's worth the extra price. I guess I'll stick with the Mibros for now.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
hankthetank said:
In general I like the Mibro better than the Mythos, except in the mud. The Mibro can be a handful until you lean it. Does not track well in the slime. It tends to wear fairly quickly, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.