Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience on these?
I have been running one up front and they seemed ok at the beginning (still very new), but now I feel like I am going to rip the tire off the rim during fast, hard turning at lower psi but if I up the pressure, I lose the traction.
I am thinking I might switch them to the back, any recommendations for the front? I am looking at maybe a Big Betty 2.4 or a Nobby Nic 2.4. I ride a 5" trail bike and weigh 225lbs without gear. I like to ride up before heading down then take the lift once I am tired (Ski Bromont). I also ride single track (Kingdom Trails). The trails are mostly hard pack with some mud, not much loose dirt.
Thank you,
Eric

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
rugbyred said:
Anyone with experience on these?
I have been running one up front and they seemed ok at the beginning (still very new), but now I feel like I am going to rip the tire off the rim during fast, hard turning at lower psi but if I up the pressure, I lose the traction.
I am thinking I might switch them to the back, any recommendations for the front? I am looking at maybe a Big Betty 2.4 or a Nobby Nic 2.4. I ride a 5" trail bike and weigh 225lbs without gear. I like to ride up before heading down then take the lift once I am tired (Ski Bromont). I also ride single track (Kingdom Trails). The trails are mostly hard pack with some mud, not much loose dirt.
Thank you,
Eric
Forget the Nobby Nics, it will be a pinch flat nightmare for you and you'll likely tear the sidewalls to shreds within a couple of weeks.

Check out Maxxis High Rollers or ADvantages. Schwalbe Fat Alberts with snake skin ought to last a good while too and have great grip.

What size rims are you running?

I ran a 2.5 Trailbears for a long while and felt very comfortable on them.

_MK

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I have been running the 2.25 Trailbears on my Ransom for about 9 months or so. I really like them as an all-round tire for NorCal stuff. They also worked well in Fruita and Salt Lake City, as well as in Phoenix. They stick reasonably well, roll pretty good and wear like iron. Play with the pressure and rim size may have some effect with your weight. I run them about 32 - 34 psi rear and about 28 - 30 in the front on a 6"+ travel bike. I weigh in about 185 or so, plus a full pack worth at least another 10 to 15 pounds, so I'm no flyweight. Been running them with Stans at the above-mentioned pressure with no problems. Ran them lower and did have a couple of "burps" from the rear tire in rocky stuff. They also do feel a bit squishy if you run them too low and turn hard, or are on off-camber stuff. Just a few pounds makes a big difference though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm running a Trailbear up front. I've found, like most tyres, that pressure is key and needs to be determined for each tyre.

32 psi seems to be ideal, 30 is too little, 35 too much. They corner great cause the side knobs are well supported and hard.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I will play with the pressure some more this weekend and see what happens.

MK, I have Mavic XM321. Saving up for some new wheels but until then they will do.

Thank you once agin for your help. I shall let you know how it goes this weekend.
Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.