Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
My Sony MP3 works fine in Mammouth @ 10K.An IPOD is a MP3 type device so..? Wonder what would prevent it? Pressure or Temp?
 

·
since 4/10/2009
Joined
·
34,314 Posts
I have heard the same rumor. I have no experience, but what I've read is that it's the air pressure affecting the way the memory storage portion works. Supposedly, units that use a memory chip type of storage work fine, but the bigger ipods which are essentially hard drives have a difficult time functioning at altitude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
"Mypod" (thats what I call my Ipod) Works fine at the top of Mammoth 11,053 feet although I dont spend allot of time up there. I have had some problems with it in extreme cold. I think Ipod's are cool and totally worth the money. The only thing I really dont like is you can't easily take songs from your Ipod and transfer them into I-tunes.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
15,200 Posts
polish coyote said:
I just read that ipods do not work above 10,000ft. Does anyone have experience with
this? Is this correct?
Thanks
I don't know if it is 10,000 feet, but a friend of mine is a mountaineering guide, and he said his ipod does not work at high altitudes. I don't remember what altitude he said he had problems at. He has gone pretty high (Everest), so this could mean just about anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
its possible that if you have a hard-drive based ipod ( which is basically anything other than the Nano ) then at higher altitudes then the hard-drives may struggle.

whole number of possible reasons - and i'm just speculating on one of them:

as the hard drive platters spin round, the read/write heads float just above the platter. the gap between the platter and head is normally created by the head floating on a cushion of air created by the disc spinning past the head.

at lower altitudes the higher density of air could possibly be that the cushion of air is nice and thick and is able to set the right head to platter gap. At high altitudes, perhaps its possible that the thinner air doesn't provide as much of a cushion and so the drive cant work as well as the heap to platter gap is not correct/
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
38,769 Posts
I'm a flight instructor. One of my students has the small I-pod, and while he doesn't listen to it *while* we are at 10,000 feet, the altitude changes haven't affected it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
the trouble with the Ipod at high altitude is referred to as Ipodanary Edema.
one quick fix is the new "I"perbolic carrying case - simple to use and mounts to the bar stem - simply load the ipod at sea level, and the air tight "I"perbolic case "traps" the sea level altitude for as long as the case remains closed . checkout www.apple.com/ipod/Iperbolic
 

·
Tree Hugger
Joined
·
2,946 Posts
donboyfisher said:
its possible that if you have a hard-drive based ipod ( which is basically anything other than the Nano ) then at higher altitudes then the hard-drives may struggle./
I thought the Nano had a minidrive. Its the shuffle that uses flash memeory, right? Either way, IPOD's suck. Buy a creative, or another brand, you get alot more for your money. Ipod is the Ellsworth of MP3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I will take that as a compliment.....you get what you pay for. I have owned iPods since 2001. I have had several warrany issues and every time I walk into the Apple store they just hand me a new one, no questionts asked. Also, everyone I know that has bought one of the other MP3 players has ended up with an iPod within 1 year. As far as Ellsworth goes, just go ride one, especially the new Elightenment, if you like a HT that is.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
15,200 Posts
Sasquatch said:
I thought the Nano had a minidrive. Its the shuffle that uses flash memeory, right? Either way, IPOD's suck. Buy a creative, or another brand, you get alot more for your money. Ipod is the Ellsworth of MP3
I only know two peoplw who bought other brands of mp3 players. Both have since said they should have bought an iPod.
 

·
Gravity Rides Everything
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Alan-S said:
I will take that as a compliment.....you get what you pay for. I have owned iPods since 2001. I have had several warrany issues and every time I walk into the Apple store they just hand me a new one, no questionts asked. Also, everyone I know that has bought one of the other MP3 players has ended up with an iPod within 1 year. As far as Ellsworth goes, just go ride one, especially the new Elightenment, if you like a HT that is.
i know several people who've had to send their ipod back for service (2 weeks or so usually) 3-4 times in a year.

they're designed to fail when the warranty expires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to break down and get rid of my 8-trak boom box. Kinda freaks me out to hear music without clicking and a pause in the middle of the song though. :p
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top