Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some clever way to integrate the ipod nike+ thingy (for running) for use on a bike? i googled and couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No and the concept wouldn't work with a geared bike. Maybe with a single speed but not without modification. It works on a fixed stride length and the strike force generated by your foot coming down on the ground. You might be able to calibrate it for a specific gear ratio, like on a single speed, but it won't work with multiple gear ratios. Secondly, the force required to send the signal is likely more than you would generate with a pedal downstroke.

·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
meloh1 said:
No and the concept wouldn't work with a geared bike. Maybe with a single speed but not without modification. It works on a fixed stride length and the strike force generated by your foot coming down on the ground. You might be able to calibrate it for a specific gear ratio, like on a single speed, but it won't work with multiple gear ratios. Secondly, the force required to send the signal is likely more than you would generate with a pedal downstroke.
first off, i was more thinking about a specific cyclometer/sensor at the wheel that interfaced with the wireless sensor that comes with nike +. I had this in mind to train for triathlons.

second, you are only partially correct. the strike force is not important, since the nike+ thing also works if you attach it to your wrist and move your arms while running or walking. it just senses a cyclical acceleration. it's just a pedometer, which most people clip to the belt.

i thought maybe some electrical type had gotten a wireless cyclometer to work with the ipod nike setup. wouldnt that be cool?

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
PI MP3 Short

I saw recently, I think in Bicycling Mag, that Pearl Izumi has some shorts with an integrated MP3 controller on the leg. Don't recall if it was brand specific (Ipod vs. others), but it would be easier than having a separate control to fiddle with. Shorts were mui expensivo, as I recall, and they seemed to work reasonably well..

You'll probably catch flak for wanting to listen to headphones while riding, but if you can do it safely, go for it.

Not sure if there are other features that the Nike system offers, but that's as close to MP3 integration that I can think of. Not aware of any other computer/mp3 compatible products.

Plum

·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtb_biker said:
Like you said, the Nike works like a pediometer. What you'd need that is pretty similar, but superior i think on a few levels is a Motion Lingo Adeo. I wrote a review of it here
ahh! i wish i had known about that before i bought the nike thing! $30 vs $150... it's more expensive, but so versatile. it's actually pretty cheap for what it is.

i am going to see how much i use the nike thing. if i use it alot, i might spring for that adeo thing.

thanks! great write up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.