Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,729 Posts
As for working while riding, WTF? Hell to the f*ck no.
What if you flip the equation? Riding while working? I did alot of that during covid summer last year. Took many help calls while riding down the trail. People would ask me what's all that racket?

I would laugh and tell them I'm on my mountain bike on the mountain.

I'm lucky to have the Redstone Arsenal trails less than a mile from my office.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,729 Posts
To the OP, I use something like this. I can answer the phone, put it on speaker, and talk to a customer as I'm riding. Bonus storage space, too!

·
since 4/10/2009
32,940 Posts
What if you flip the equation? Riding while working? I did alot of that during covid summer last year. Took many help calls while riding down the trail. People would ask me what's all that racket?

I would laugh and tell them I'm on my mountain bike on the mountain.

I'm lucky to have the Redstone Arsenal trails less than a mile from my office.
Not gonna work while riding anywhere interesting where I live. Road or mtb. Cellular reception isn't good enough outside of town.

It's also just not something that I would do. Nor would I be especially enthused about if I needed to make a phone call for work and the person on the other end was distracted that way.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,729 Posts
I guess what I'm saying, I'm at work, on the clock, just sitting at my desk, while everyone else is tele-working. Most people will call my cell if I don't answer my desk phone.

I have my bike on the rack, and mountain trails less than a mile away.

Yeah, I'm gonna go riding. "on the clock". Works for me.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,940 Posts
I guess what I'm saying, I'm at work, on the clock, just sitting at my desk, while everyone else is tele-working. Most people will call my cell if I don't answer my desk phone.

I have my bike on the rack, and mountain trails less than a mile away.

Yeah, I'm gonna go riding. "on the clock". Works for me.
I get it.
If I could, I would.
But I can’t… I’m retired. :)
=sParty

P.S. Let’s go riding

·
Registered
987 Posts
Interesting limitations. Road riding or similar to me is the ideal case for screen side out or on the handlebars.

I'm a BIG fan of quadlock. But no way do I use it on a chunky down pointing trail. That's a recipe for a crash that sends the phone off into the bush like a frisbee. Ditto screen side out, I want the protection. But riding gentle? no brainer if I wanted the phone out, I'd put it on the bars.

Anyway, check out quadlock anyways. you can get a waterproof case. The quadlock std case, then a clear plastic top cover for riding in the rain or wet. Should stop butt dialing but you can still use it with the cover on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Best option, Quad Lock anything else is just silly. I have the mount on my current phone and old phone as I use the old phone as my GPS. I can use my current phone if I forget the old phone. Protected well and the case is nice. Options for wireless charging from a car mount, motorcycle...

Steve

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hate the price, love the product. Also I have had email correspondence with them at least twice and each time they were engaged and responsive, repeatedly.

Actually, I have the same exact thing to say about my OneUp bike rack.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I put my phone in “airplane” mode while I ride.

No emergency calls or weird things going on, can still take a photo if I really want and just take it out of airplane mode if I really need to make a call or when the ride ends.

·
Registered
225 Posts
These two videos are what lead me to using the Quad Lock.

Video One

Video Two

I find I'm more attentive to my Apple Watch, while riding, and have only had one video call while riding - with my daughter. She thought it was super cool, as she could see the tops of the palm trees as I road through Waikiki.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I put my phone in “airplane” mode while I ride.
This is what I do also, and your GPS still works in airplane mode. If you want to see your screen, the mounts are the way to go. I tried facing the screen away from my thigh but I never liked the idea of the additional risk to the screen. A bonus is that with WiFi turned off it's not constantly looking for a network so it extends battery life a tiny bit.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
+100 for the QuadLock system(s), with one caveat: The "Poncho" (cover) doesn't work consistently across all iPhone models. On some it works very well (8, 11 and 12) and on others (XS) it is pretty awful. With the improved durability and water resistance of the newer iPhones, I think the need for the Poncho is less important.

I also want to echo that QuadLock's support is excellent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I usually carry my iPhone in a pocket in the back of my jersey. When it starts getting sweaty it seems to try and trigger opening the phone. Which then asks for a face id or password unlock. Which of course doesn't happen (its in my pocket). After a number of these cycles the phone just locks up. I have also had the phone call my emergency contact randomly or the siri function not work properly because the phone is trying to unlock.

So how do I get this phone to stay locked when the screen is being touched BUT still be able to unlock it from time to time on the ride via a different method? View attachment 1958259
NO ONE SUGGESTED THIS YET:
I like to keep my phone on my body, so I use a small fanny pack/waist pouch. This is the exact one I have: https://amzn.to/30XAWmh

My phone fits in there perfect and there's even a small pocket on the side to put a small tool in if you'd like. Worn mine for the past 3 years and still works great. STYLE BABY!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts