Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to be pulling the trigger on the IP/FM 057 this week..

Really trying to decide on whether to go with the 19" or the 21".. I don't even want to think about how much it would cost to have to ship it back in order to swap frames, so I'd obviously really like to get this right first go around.

Currently leaning towards the 19 inch but the more research I do comparing this frame to the Scott Scale, then the more it seems I'm in between sizes with measurements:

Height: a smidge over 6 ft.
Inseam: 33 inches by my own crude measurements.
Arm Span. 6 ft 3 inches.

Here's the geometries of both the 19 and 21 inch in case that helps..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would love to hear from those of you that own either the IP/FM 057 or 056 as they have the same exact geometries.

Also, i'd be cool to hear from someone running an 80mm fork on either of these frames. Seems most are going with 100mm or more for these frames, but I just couldn't pass up that deal on the Manitou Tower Pro at PricePoint and it's 80mm.

Thanks for reading.

White Line Slope Black Parallel
Slope White Line Black Parallel

·
Registered
15,128 Posts
I'd look more at the 19 and I'd test ride the size options at a Scott dealer to help with the decision. You can ride that fork at 95psi for less sag and use a medium spring for initial compliance. Shim stack tuning is a further option to play around with.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd look more at the 19 and I'd test ride the size options at a Scott dealer to help with the decision. You can ride that fork at 95psi for less sag and use a medium spring for initial compliance. Shim stack tuning is a further option to play around with.
Yeah.. I'm thinking the 19 as well.. Thx for the input.

I assume you mean shims between the fork and frame? Okay.. I see how that would give you some flexibility in setting up the bike.. Will def do some research on that as that's one of my small concerns with this build (low bottom bracket, twitchy front end - due to 80mm fork rather 100mm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm 5'11" with an almost 36" inseam and ride the Large with a 100mm stem. That is just about perfect on me for an XC fit. I tend to think this frame runs a little large anyway. Stand over height is pretty high if that is a concern. I'm running 100mm XX World Cup fork and handling is good, definitely not twitchy. I think 80 mm would be fine.

·
Registered
15,128 Posts
Yeah.. I'm thinking the 19 as well.. Thx for the input.

I assume you mean shims between the fork and frame? Okay.. I see how that would give you some flexibility in setting up the bike.. Will def do some research on that as that's one of my small concerns with this build (low bottom bracket, twitchy front end - due to 80mm fork rather 100mm.
No that shim thing refers to the shims in the damper valve system. The size, thickness and amount of small thin washers used to partially block the holes in the damping valve control how fast the oil moves through as you compress the fork going over bumps. So you can change things by changing those shims. There are some threads about the process.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 5'11" with an almost 36" inseam and ride the Large with a 100mm stem. That is just about perfect on me for an XC fit. I tend to think this frame runs a little large anyway. Stand over height is pretty high if that is a concern. I'm running 100mm XX World Cup fork and handling is good, definitely not twitchy. I think 80 mm would be fine.
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and traded into a 19" scott scale. I loved that bike, but I wrestled with sizing a bit. I usually did a 23.5" Ett with a 90mm stem, and that made my weight balance perfect for short punchy climbs and descents. The scale had a 24.4" Ett, so I dropped the stem by around 20mm (or an inch) and ran it like that. It handled MUCH better in corners, but lost something in climbs because my weight was further back, so the front end got light. Still, I loved that bike and the way it handled.

How does that matter? Well, the ip057 has very similar or identical geometry to the scale. At 6', I'd be tempted to say that you'd be too stretched out on the xl. That top tube is really long. I'd run a large 19" and play with stem length to get good fit. I think a 90 or 80mm stem might fit great.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Uh, well, he's an inch taller than I and that would put him on a 25.1 inch top tube bike. He might feel comfortable out of the saddle, but dang. I like long bikes but there's no way I'd want a bike that long. You'd have to drop to a 50 or 60 mm stem to make it comfortable. Not bad on a honzo, but maybe not right for a carbon racer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome guys, this is really great feedback and I appreciate it.

Based on what epic_dude and sandwich said I'm feeling more and more confident about the 19"...

Hey sandwich your rec. of 80-90mm stem fits fairly close with the 75mm Easton Haven stem I've already purchased. Also, comparing it to epic_dude's set-up of a 100mm stem and 680mm bars, compared to my 75mm stem and 720mm bars.. It sounds about right since we're both 6ft.

Hey, epic_dude.. do you mind if I ask what your arm span is? Mainly, is your arm span greater in length than your height, like me?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would do the 75mm with a 740 and see if you like it, then cut it down if not (if you don't already have one).

I think I settled on a 60 or 70mm stem for myself, before selling the bike for more squish.

Good luck! I'm considering the same frame, and I'd buy a 19".

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Awesome guys, this is really great feedback and I appreciate it.

Based on what epic_dude and sandwich said I'm feeling more and more confident about the 19"...

Hey, epic_dude.. do you mind if I ask what your arm span is? Mainly, is your arm span greater in length than your height, like me?
To be more precise, my height is 71.5", wingspan is 72". Hope that helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would do the 75mm with a 740 and see if you like it, then cut it down if not (if you don't already have one).
I may actually do that.. I have the stem but not the bars yet.. It's currently a toss up between Answer Pro Taper Carbon 720mm and Easton Havoc Carbon 750mm.. Both on sale for the same price, just didn't want to mess with cutting the bars although I'm sure it's super easy. Also, just figured 720mm would be wide enough.. actually cut a couple old broom sticks to the two lengths and 720 felt right when I held it and closed my eyes and pretended I was riding ;) Obviously, not sure how useful that will be but figured it be a better reference than none at all.. but the more I read, the more I'm considering giving the wider 750mm bars a go.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Bar width is not worth thinking about...find the width and rise you want, then get the widest you can. Cut down from there. I ran my last bike with 785s. I thought it was stupid but it just felt good enough to leave as is. I think I'd cut about 20mm per side in the future though, I hit too many trees. Current bike has 750s, feels just right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.