Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a forced SS bike ( as in the derailer broke and I cant afford a new one so I'm using chain tension to keep the tourque going). Does any one know of any good methods to keep the chain from streching out too quickly (as I have a suspencion bike)?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
What do you mean "keep the chain from streching out too quickly (as I have a suspencion bike)?"?? Do you mean the chain tension? If your talking about chain stretch, an easy way to check is hold up a measuring stick to your chain- there should be 6" inches between links- as in the 0 and 6" mark should fall exactly on a link pin- if not your chain is starting to stretch and wear out.
If your looking to turn your bike into an ss, buy a tensioner that bolts to the der. hanger. You should be able to find a derailleur for pretty cheap- $25 if you don't want to ss it.
I too have had to ride a "forced ss" when I broke my der hanger way out in the wilderness, so I cut the chain and rode back- the chain would still pop off on rough sections since there was not enough tension, but it was better than scootering or pushing the bike for miles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been riding like this for a while so I've learned how to get the tension high enough to keep the chain from bouncing off- however the chain stretches out very quickly and on some occasions even snaps. My question essentialy is: is there anything I can do to increace my chains life while using this setup?

·
Registered
136 Posts
what is broken on your derailier?

If the spring is busted - you can not use it to tension the chain. If it just does not shift correctly - you have something to work with. It is possible to set up the der. to act as a tensioner for the chain.

First thing you need to do is determine which chainring/ cog combination you want. This will depend on the terrrain you are going to ride. Once this selection is made - disconnect the shock from your rear suspension and, probably with a friends help -more hands make it easier, move the rear triangle of the bike through its complete range. While doing this, determine the longest length of chain you will need. Shorten the chain, run it through the wheels of the broken derailier, around the chainring and cog you selected. the top wheel of the derailier needs to be directly below, aligned with, the cog the chain is on. Pull the derailier cable off the bike and run it through the hole in the derailier that the cable went into and secure it with the clamp. The barrel at the end of the cable should be down in the hole and you are only using about 3 " of cable - cut off the excess. Adjust the cable length such that the upper wheel on the derailier is aligned with the chosen wheel cog. retighten the cable clamp - you can fine tune the position of the derailier wheel with the barrel adjuster.

I have used this setup sucessfully - it may take a little adjustment, but it will allow you to ride your bike.

It sounds like $$ is tight. If the derailier spring is broken - most any bike shop will have a box of old derailiers - they would probable give you one for nothing. If you do not want to cut your derailier cable short - to use it when you get the $$ to replace you derailier - the same shop will have a piece of discarded cable they will give you,also. Just ask.

·
Registered
229 Posts
nope

As far as I know, on most full suspension bikes (e.g. other than old URT designs) the effective chainstay length is elongated under load on the rear suspension. That's why your chain has snapped. I don't think you can ride this kind of bike as a single speed other than in an emergency. Your chain will always either be too lose (and derail) or too tight (and snap). There is no middle ground.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. All the bike shops I know are evil. They make so much money off of people who cant replace a tube on their kids bike that they dont care about the real riders unless said riders buy a $3K bike every season .

2. I have a simple coil over spring - I tired setting the preload to over 500 lbs but it just makes the bike and its geometry realy weird.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
ShivaSteve said:
As far as I know, on most full suspension bikes (e.g. other than old URT designs) the effective chainstay length is elongated under load on the rear suspension. That's why your chain has snapped. I don't think you can ride this kind of bike as a single speed other than in an emergency. Your chain will always either be too lose (and derail) or too tight (and snap). There is no middle ground.
Depends on the frame, a horst-link frame actually gets shorter when the suspension compresses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.