Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Call them

I have never seen anything even vaguely like that in steel. I imagine calling Fly bikes would be step #1 in finding out if you can get some.

FWIW, they look like aluminum to me.

-Walt

PiR products said:
I took this pic from the Flybikes website, and they said "invest casting stays bridge"...

http://www.flybikesbmx.com/frames/products/tierra_info.html

Anyway, is there a way to get this kind of tubes ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I imagine calling Fly bikes would be step #1 in finding out if you can get some.
I really doubt they'll help me. I already contacted them few years ago concerning a new product idea, but they don't consider ideas that don't come from her company. I know their frames are made in Taiwan, so they probably never had this tube in hand, or maybe the prototype...

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Why not just turn some on a lathe? Design looks simple enough to copy. Start wit ha solid rod profiling the outside as you wish. One satisfied you could bore a hole down the center if your concerned about weight. Just a thought

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crux said:
Why not just turn some on a lathe? Design looks simple enough to copy. Start wit ha solid rod profiling the outside as you wish. One satisfied you could bore a hole down the center if your concerned about weight. Just a thought
Yes, but I would like to made a quantity of 50 or more...and I think it's too much time consuming...

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
customfab said:
The wonderful website for Fly bikes doesn't mention a material spec either.
Fly frames are all 4130 of some kind, although they tend to just be listed as CRMO in the catalogues.

I don't know of any non-racing BMX brands that do alu frames. If you're lucky you'll get a name brand and some butted tubes, but mostly they're all about plain gauge steel.

OT:
Ragleys have cast chain stay bridges this year, can't promise Brant will tell you who's making them but it can't hurt to ask him.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Long Shen is the caster of choice for IC bike parts. If you wanted something like that done, they'd be the people to talk to. They'd sell too, because they're a nice design.

http://www.longshen.com.tw/

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Draw the part, submit to emachineshop.com and be done with it. Getting anything cast will be many thousands of dollars.

-Schmitty-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Schmitty said:
Draw the part, submit to emachineshop.com and be done with it. Getting anything cast will be many thousands of dollars.

-Schmitty-
I didn't know this site. The idea behind the site is really good. It's a shame their software is so poor and I talk as a Dassault System (CATIA & SolidWorks) teacher.

Anyway, I made a simulation for 50 pieces and the price is 14 $/bridge and 11 $ for 100 pieces. It's a bit expensive, but could be worst...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts