Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've read all across the boards that inverting your fork for a extended amount of time is bad for it, but I got a question.

I was swapping out the tube of my front wheel which is mounted to a 2005 Sherman Slider +, so the fork was inverted for some time as I was swapping the tube. After I mounted the wheel back on and so forth, and cleaned the bottom of my bike, the fork felt a lot better for some reason. It felt smoother and buttery.

Are there some forks that benefit from a inversion over a small period of time?

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
Raptordude said:
Okay I've read all across the boards that inverting your fork for a extended amount of time is bad for it, but I got a question.

I was swapping out the tube of my front wheel which is mounted to a 2005 Sherman Slider +, so the fork was inverted for some time as I was swapping the tube. After I mounted the wheel back on and so forth, and cleaned the bottom of my bike, the fork felt a lot better for some reason. It felt smoother and buttery.

Are there some forks that benefit from a inversion over a small period of time?
When you invert a fork the oil moves to the bushings & seals . I used to do this on my Fox Vanilla & RS Psylo forks. If your fork felt better after inversion i'd say you need to sevice the semi-bath oil on your fork. Take off the lowers, clean and drain the oil (if there is any left) lube the seals, add 16cc of semi-bath oil per leg.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
fox says this is good for the fork as it keeps the seals well conditioned. Other manufactures I've herad that it's bad for their forks. Your best bet would be to contact the maker of the fork and go with what they tell ya. If they say it's cool, go for it. If something should happen, it's on them since they told you it was ok. If they say no, then I wouldnt chance it. It may be fine, but you never know.

G

·
I tip my bike over every week overnight so that the bushings and seals get a good bath...... Keeps them working smoother and I believe may make them last longer (makes sence, right) It is not a bad thing to do, unless you have a weird fork....
Infact my bike is inverted as we speak
Im using a Junior T...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.