Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So doing some service, I turned the bike on its back, and oil started running out from the ETA knob on my 2007 Marzocchi Z.1 - it was quite a lot.

Is that something to be scared of, and should I re-calibrate the oil levels?

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
dbmnk said:
So doing some service, I turned the bike on its back, and oil started running out from the ETA knob on my 2007 Marzocchi Z.1 - it was quite a lot.

Is that something to be scared of, and should I re-calibrate the oil levels?
Find out exactly where it's leaking and replace seal / oring ??? add oil.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, thanks.

your answer implies that this fork should not leak oil whatsoever.
I called the guy, which I recently got it from, and he claimed it was perfectly normal - I had my doubts..

the marzocchies being open bath would be hard to identify the point of leak, I could imagine, but will look into this, since it is all new territory for me.

·
Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
I own 3 Marzocchi's with open bath oiling--none of them leak. This is absolutely not normal. The O-ring in the ETA shaft mat be bad, you might want to check the O-ring on the cap too. With out seeing it it is hard to say. As far as filling her back up--if you just lost a little oil I wouldn"t worry about it. To properly refill it you would have to take it apart and drain all the oil out, then measure the correct amount.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
dbmnk said:
ok, thanks.

your answer implies that this fork should not leak oil whatsoever.
I called the guy, which I recently got it from, and he claimed it was perfectly normal - I had my doubts..

the marzocchies being open bath would be hard to identify the point of leak, I could imagine, but will look into this, since it is all new territory for me.
You could try a new seal kit, or just take the fork apart and see what's up, download the service manual and see if it's something you'd be willing to try. The guy's response makes me wonder if he understood anything about that fork's maintenance...

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
I've had a little trouble with the large screw-in cartridge tops coming loose from the fork crown on a couple zoke forks, they need to be tight, however, they are aluminum so be carful, maybe check there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.