Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I am looking for some Lake Tahoe information. I am headed out there to ski form the 18th - 26th of February.

I was wondering what the closest trails were to South Lake Tahoe? Is it possible to make a day trip to some trails while I am out there?

Can I rent a pugsley and do some snow rides on the Rim trail or other trails around the lake?

Thanks for any help!

Also, if there are any riders (snowboard, ski, mtn bike) in the area that relish in new faces and new places. Let me know so we can ride.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TahoeBC said:
Well bring some snow with ya or you might just be biking in South Lake Tahoe itself, things are looking grim right now snow wise :mad:
So I have heard, that is exactly why I am exploring other options at the moment.

Just remember that every day it doesn't snow, it increases the chance that it will snow the next day.

Thanks for the info. Anybody rent bikes (I ride a rigid 29'er but will take what I an get) in the winter around the lake?

Any other suggestions for snow shoeing routes or cross country if the snow doesn't come?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
All the bike shop rentals turn into snow activity rentals in the winter. They do make snow on the mountains, so if your just into riding the parks or the groomers you will be fine.

PM me as you get closer to coming out and I'll feed you info on snow shoeing routes or cross country if you'd rather do that.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sacto said:
What is your route of travel?

If you are traveling up HWY 50 from the Bay Area (or points south) just a few minutes off the Sunrise exit before you reach the city of Folsom (and the foothills) is a place called River Rat. They rent bikes and rafts. Here's their link...

http://www.river-rat.com/rentalandrepair.htm
I am flying into Reno and driving from there.

·
tallmtnbiker
32 Posts
Bike Rentals Near Pine Nut

If you end up in South Lake Tahoe and want to ride at Pine Nut near Gardnerville, Nevada, check in with Keith at Big Daddy's Bikes in Gardnerville, 775-782-7077. He can update you on trail conditions and can probably find a bike for you to ride. Good man and a dandy LBS.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tallmtnbiker said:
If you end up in South Lake Tahoe and want to ride at Pine Nut near Gardnerville, Nevada, check in with Keith at Big Daddy's Bikes in Gardnerville, 775-782-7077. He can update you on trail conditions and can probably find a bike for you to ride. Good man and a dandy LBS.
Good luck.
Thanks a bunch. I am still praying to the snow gods and hoping that we will be able to make some fresh turns.

How far is this "Pine Nut" from South Lake Tahoe?

·
tallmtnbiker
32 Posts
Pine Nut

Pine Nut park is a motorcycle/ATV park located off of Highway 395 just south of Gardnerville, Nevada. There is no gates or admission: just miles of trails.

It's about 20 miles from South Lake Tahoe. With no snow, it's an easy drive from Highway 50 in South Lake Tahoe. You would take Hwy 50 east to Highway 207 (Kingsbury Road). This will take you down to the Carson Valley. Stay on 207, cross Hwy 88 to Centerville. Turn right on Centerville to Dresslerville Road, cross 395, and it turns into Pinenut Road. Follow that about four miles to the off road area. Mapquest "Gardnerville, Nevada" and you'll see it south of town.

Good luck:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.