Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've been scouting the forums for a couple years now on and off and finally had some questions. Back in 2011 I bought a Trek 3900 disc and have been having fun with it since. But now it needs some fixes. I've contemplated the just buying a new bike but I don't have more then $500 to spend right now and that's after 3 years of riding so I think I'm better off just upgrading. I have 2 areas i want to change out. My wheelset and my fork.
From my research here, I've decided on the suntour epicon to replace the suntour xct on there now. That leaves me with like $300 to put towards wheels. I have Bontrager 550, 36-hole right now. They have untrued a couple times and I'm not a hard rider. My tires 26 x 2.0" Bontrager LT3 seems to suck also. Never really gripped vey well.

So those are my only 2 gripes with the bike. It's a light bike. I've never had a problem with the brakes and the gears. That's what discourages me from a more expensive bike also seeing that those components have been fine all this time. i got into mountain biking but never got super into it. i ride maybe once every month or 2 as it is now. So does anyone have any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
14,119 Posts
The fork will make a big difference from the major upgrade in performance and the weight loss off the front.
26" means you might find a good wheelset used. heck locally or on ebay.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
You can score perfectly functional wheelsets that will definitely be an upgrade for a pretty decent price. A couple random examples:

Easton EA70 XC 26" MTN Wheel 2013 > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Mavic Crossone 26" Wheelset 2014 > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Easton EA70 XL MTN 26" Wheel 2014 > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Caveat emptor and all that - it never hurts to search for reviews, forum input, and better prices on anything specific you're thinking of buying.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, I'm gonna ask my LBS also what their suggestions are, maybe they can do a nice deal. With these upgrades, how would my bike compete with say a cannondale trail sl3?
That was the bike i comtemplating upgrading to, but it seems with the upgrades i'm looking at, my bike would be ahead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts