Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Complete newbie here haven't ridden since my mid teens now 26 so 10+ years. Decided I should get out more and generally get fitter. So I bought a POS cheap bike (zoom front forks) from a large store here in the UK. I have been out on it a few times now and have really enjoyed getting out and about.

I am having trouble deciding where to go from here. Do I upgrade by buying a new complete bike from an online store/LBS or do I build one myself as I am reasonably mechanically minded. Money wouldn't be too much of an issue if I could spread it over a few months a few parts at a time or save for the next couple and buy a complete bike.

So I guess my question is, what would you guys suggest? Build a new bike while I get fitter (not dying) on the death bike or buy a complete bike which would probably be achievable sooner?

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
you'll always get more bike/$ buying complete bike. Keep riding your current, save up $$, and spend all at once.

Currently for new bikes, the marins on ebay (if they ship to uk)are the hottest deals. See the other current threads on here for my explanation.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's entirely up to you. It's cheaper to buy a complete bike, and as a beginer you don't any real preference for one brand over another. My advice is to buy a complete bike the first time, learn what you like and don't like, and next bike you can build custom, if you choose.
IMO the sooner your off that dept. store bike the better.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Nothing wrong with building your own bike or upgrading something you have but the value is definitely in complete bikes. Manufacturers can get much better deals than you can because they buy in bulk. Now if you have local bike shops around you check in with them at the end of the summer and you can usually get really good deals as they close out last years' models.

Do some research, ride as many bikes you can get your hands on, and when it comes time to buy get the one you like riding the most. You can always customize things but it's hard to beat just buying a bike that's fun to ride, and it's hard to know that a bike is fun to ride unless you're shopping for completes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts