Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great forum, and I promise to use the search feature, but I purchased a Giant HT 2 weeks ago to do the Barry Roubaix ride and iceman in the fall... so thoughts on what to do next? I have 0 trail exposure but SE Mi is thawing out... As an older rider - do I get pads (I have helmet, glasses, gloves hydration )? Trail exposure is still 3 weeks away so suggestions on "prep" work would be appreciated. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
401 Posts
do I get pads
Those two courses look more like gravel grinds than singletrack gnar. Given the location and temperature I'd skip the pads and put the cash towards quality clothing - a good base layer, warmers, jacket, etc.

thoughts on what to do next?...Trail exposure is still 3 weeks
You didn't provide anything on your athletic background, so this may be already taken care of: start getting in shape. Lots of folks get on a bike and "ride lots" to train, but your core, back, shoulders, and even arms need to all be able to work together. My best seasons have been those where I've spent some quality winter time with dumbbells and a pull-up bar. Even with the trails covered, there's nothing stopping you from doing some good high-intensity interval training (worth a google) to start getting your cardio system ready.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been a long winter.
Which model do you have.
Library « Michigan Mountain Biking Association
You can find trail maps for our area.
I use a helmet and carry a multitool for rides at Stony Creek.
Gloves depending on the weather and a pack if I will be out more than 2 hours.
I have Giant XTC HT 29". Thanks for the map reference - now it's time to start shopping for rides! I was actually sent a video of Stoney... Trees look real close... time to wok in my bike handling. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks IOC... I've got my road gear (I do long course triathlons) but need shorts/jersey... Still it's clearly a more "Hands on" ride so I'm looking forward to the x-train. Btw, does anyone ever raise a concern on ticks/Lyme disease?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I have a Giant XTC 29er as well. I like mine a lot and I've had it for years. Movin on, the gym work idea is a great suggestion. You need to get your body ready to start doing physically stressful activity. You can run, swim, and lifting weights will also help. Your core is very important. Without it, on longer rides you will put too much weight on your hands, which can cause numbness. Also when I start to get tired, I start to lose my form, which causes me more problems.

If you're not big into gym work, you can take your mountain bike out on the clear roads. It will be colder riding on the road instead of mountain biking, but it will help you when it comes time to get out on the trail. I recommend riding on the road or a forest service road instead of jumping head first into mountain biking. You can work on your bike handling skills, going over obstacles, shifting your weight, and all of that important stuff before you run into those obstacles on the trail. Last but not least, make sure to have fun.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
if your roads are clear enough to ride on, you can ride on roads. road riding is different but fun in different ways (depeonds on your local conditions of course). If you live in area where weather prevents outdoor exercising, gym membership worthwhile.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Thanks IOC... I've got my road gear (I do long course triathlons) but need shorts/jersey... Still it's clearly a more "Hands on" ride so I'm looking forward to the x-train. Btw, does anyone ever raise a concern on ticks/Lyme disease?
When I was back in PA we had a lot of lyme disease concern. A lot of times you don't have tick problems unless you start hitting the bushes or walking off trail but I would always do a quick sweep of both legs and arms after a ride if you will be in a lyme area. Say what you will but the roadie leg shave makes this pretty straight forward once you wash off any mud. Keep a water bottle in the car for the post ride leg wash.

Short of the wetsuit your roadie gear will generally do you just fine in the mountains. If you expect to crash the baggie shorts can offer some abrasion resistance though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts