Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Jason from New York. I love bikes and also start liking electric bikes too. I have some questions about bruised quadricep on my left leg which I fell down harder from the bike. My iPhone was in left pocket which made bruise more. I didn't see bump rocks there but I flew over and landed on it. Went to emergency room to get checked out. They said x-ray showed no fracture or broken bones at all. Just very little bit pressure on left hip due to mild degeneration. They said it's trauma from fell down. I'm trying to figure out why muscles around my left hip feel like pain but I only landed on rock by left front quadricep, arms and hands. My hips didn't touch the ground. I have spoken with my friend who is pain management, he said that bruised quadriceps can spread pain to the hips area. He said something like if quadriceps got bruised, hips can be weak with pain for awhile. He checked x-ray and it looked fine to him. I wonder how long healing will be. He said more likely up to two months. Any of you had similar situation like mine before? I hope your experience can help me to think positive. Thank you.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

· Cycologist
16,945 Posts
Welcome to mountain biking!

One common thing is that if you injure a part of your body, it shifts the workload those muscles were doing to other muscles and they can get overloaded after awhile so if the pain was not immediate, this may be it. Or, when you landed, the impact could have passed through your body to parts other than what came into contact with the ground.

· Destroyer of Worlds
476 Posts
I wiped out at the bike park 10 days ago and came down sideways on a rock. The bruise on my thigh is still worse than your pic, even after 10 days of healing. It was sore as hell for a few days, and took almost a week before I felt able to MTB again. But it's just muscle bruising. If the x-rays are clear, then Advil and cold-packs are your friends.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wiped out at the bike park 10 days ago and came down sideways on a rock. The bruise on my thigh is still worse than your pic, even after 10 days of healing. It was sore as hell for a few days, and took almost a week before I felt able to MTB again. But it's just muscle bruising. If the x-rays are clear, then Advil and cold-packs are your friends.
Did you or do you still have some pain on your hip when you have bruised thigh?

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,682 Posts
Your hips are really connected to your legs. If you hit hard enough, your flexors have taken a bit of a strain, and they'll hurt. I've torn some in a crash. No bruising on my hips at all. That was weeks of recovery, including some time where I couldn't walk without assistance.

If your hips are tight, and most people's are these days, it'll be far more noticeable too.

· Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, I caught a pedal on a rock that stopped my bike in place. My thighs whacked against my handlebars. Left a purple and yellow bruises. I'm a little over 30 and I was riding a few days later, with some pain. I doubt it will take two months unless you are older.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody for helpful feedback and experience. Tomorrow will be my third week recovery from bike accident. I still do see tiny purple and yellow on my left thigh. I do see small lump on left thigh too so I assume it means bruised is not completely yet. For left hip area, just feeling like strained with some pain. Hopefully next week things will get better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.