Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not on any regimented training plan but I occasionally throw in some hill repeat riding on a street around the corner from my house. The thing is, the hill on this street is relatively short. It probably takes me somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 45 seconds to do it. Maybe 150 ft ascent. Basically, I just go up the hill, go down the hill, repeat, with no rest in between. Middle ring. Sometimes sitting, sometimes standing. Sometimes both. Last week I did it eight times. Am I wasting my time doing this? Do I need more reps? Do I need to find a longer climb to really see an impact? Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Carl Hungus said:
I'm not on any regimented training plan but I occasionally throw in some hill repeat riding on a street around the corner from my house. The thing is, the hill on this street is relatively short. It probably takes me somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 45 seconds to do it. Maybe 150 ft ascent. Basically, I just go up the hill, go down the hill, repeat, with no rest in between. Middle ring. Sometimes sitting, sometimes standing. Sometimes both. Last week I did it eight times. Am I wasting my time doing this? Do I need more reps? Do I need to find a longer climb to really see an impact? Your advice is appreciated.
I think that is a good workout to have in your arsenal. It simulates what you see in an actual mountain bike race: Hard efforts separated by inadequate recovery.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's good to have, but you should switch it up some and find some longer stuff too. A lot of efforts in races like the start last for a while.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
You say last week you did it eight times.

Great.

I would suggest that you repeat it say four to eight times, at the same time with a rest of say 2 to 4 minutes between the intervals. maybe twice a week.

·
Registered
738 Posts
30 sec intervals

I copied this from some sports article...

Billat's 30-30 regime
Bear in mind that Billat's interval training seems to 'bring things together' (ie boost economy, vVO2max and lactate-threshold speed simultaneously), so it's not too much of a stretch to say that it would be ideal training for the last four weeks before a major competition. However, it is also important to do some vVO2max work at the beginning of the year, because it will kick-start fitness and improve the quality of the ensuing training. If things are proceeding correctly, of course, the speed of the vVO2max intervals will increase as time goes by. (You'll want to perform the six-minute test every six to eight weeks to obtain a new vVO2max for yourself).

Very recently, Veronique has formulated a pair of vVO2max interval sessions which lead to impressive gains in fitness. In one of the new workouts, the idea is to warm up thoroughly and then alternate just 30 seconds of moving along at vVO2max (instead of the classic but agonising three minutes) with 30 seconds of 'floating' at 50% of vVO2max (14).
In her new research on this 30-30 pattern, Billat studied eight well-trained male endurance runners whose average age was 34. Prior to the study, these athletes were running about 35-40 miles per week. Their average VO2max was a pretty decent 60 ml/min.kg-1, mean vVO2max was 18.5k/hr (a pace of 5:13 per mile), and their lactate-threshold velocity was 82% of vVO2max, or 15.2 k/hr (6:21 per mile).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.