Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in a predicament here, one of the LBSs here is willing to cut me a real good deal on a new 2013 trek X-Caliber 1,050 out the door, but then then I was shown this http://www.amazon.com/2012-Marin-ROCK-SPRINGS-ELITE/dp/B00GMRDV60

I'm just skeptical of buying my first mtb online I know I fit on a 17.5 perfectly but aside from that I'm just confused about whether or not to go the lbs route or the better deal online

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
I predict that this discussion is going to follow the well-worn path of the dozens of "internet vs LBS" threads of the past.

internet- cheaper, just be sure that you have an EXPERIENCED bike mechanic look at it and get it dialed in. if you don't know any mechanics, see if your local mtb scene has a website where you can contact riders with mechanical experience can help you out.

LBS- if the shop is solid and reputable, you will rest assured that it was put together right, tuned up, and the shop will back you up, keep the bike running, and you will start a business relationship with a local business that you can count on.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Most LBS, the ones near me, offer a year's worth of tune ups if a bike is purchased in their shop. Its a nice incentive since its just labor and small parts costs. Another good thing is that Trek offers buyers a lifetime warranty on their hardtail frames. As much as I love Marin bikes, for the money and the fact that it would be from an LBS, I'd go with the Trek. A RS Reba vs a Fox Float is a debate within itself as to which one is better. I have a friend that would choose a Reba over a Float every day of the week while I'd go with the Fox.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about that mack_turtle trust me tried various searches via the search bar but no luck so I figured I would post something. Thank you for your input though I know a do know a few people who would be happy to help with assembly.

Thanks shakester I'm probably going to go with the Trek the shop owner is a real cool guy I wouldn't mind giving him my business.

Is the SRAM x7 drivetrain any good? I've had really good luck with my Shimano set up on my road bike.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
If you work on it yourself, Internet. If you don't know a cone wrench from a star nut, go with the lbs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
693 Posts
Having bought from both, I now try to use my LBS as you then have somewhere to go if you need help with anything.
I can do most things on my bike now, but I needed a wheel trueing quickly and the LBS did it for me while I waited (on the bike I bought from them)
Plus you are helping to support the LBS, as opposed to an internet trader who might disappear the next week leaving you high and dry if there are any issues with the items you bought from them.

·
Registered
14,059 Posts
A good lbs will work on whatever you bring in, they offer service as a business.
A first bike is usually more constrained by budget then yours and buying online can get you beyond the Suntour forks most bike shops sell. Those were designed for bikepaths.
Your choice is a solid bike ready for trails.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Is the SRAM x7 drivetrain any good?
Yes.
My X7 parts are very old ... but I'm sure the new ones do what they are supposed to do, too. In my experience, the shifting feels different between Shimano and SRAM (besides the different levers): Shimano tries to be smooth - and usually succeeds in good conditions; SRAM shifts more "forcefully" - perhaps not as smooth but the chain ends up where you want it "no-matter-what".

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
So I am in a predicament here, one of the LBSs here is willing to cut me a real good deal on a new 2013 trek X-Caliber 1,050 out the door, but then then I was shown this Amazon.com: 2012 Marin ROCK SPRINGS ELITE 29er 17": Sports & Outdoors

I'm just skeptical of buying my first mtb online I know I fit on a 17.5 perfectly but aside from that I'm just confused about whether or not to go the lbs route or the better deal online
You really don't know that you fit perfectly on a 17.5. How do I know that? By the fact that you stated it. 17.5 is a very misleading number, but does give you a very general starting place. What's the reach, stack- those are the numbers that are measured the same and can be compared across bike. 17.5 doesn't mean a whole lot. You can have 3 17.5 frames that have 3 reach and stack numbers and will all fit very differently.

So, don't assume because you felt good on one 17.5 inch bike in the store, all others will fit the same.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would go with the LBS, I spent a little more on mine with them but they have been there for all the warranty issues. both tires and the brakes had to be changed within a couple of months they took care of it all.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
what level xcal? Not that its really relevant to internet vs shop just curious about the value the shop is giving you on a year old model

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You really don't know that you fit perfectly on a 17.5. How do I know that? By the fact that you stated it. 17.5 is a very misleading number, but does give you a very general starting place. What's the reach, stack- those are the numbers that are measured the same and can be compared across bike. 17.5 doesn't mean a whole lot. You can have 3 17.5 frames that have 3 reach and stack numbers and will all fit very differently.

So, don't assume because you felt good on one 17.5 inch bike in the store, all others will fit the same.
You sir make a good point, perfectly was a bad word to use.

what level xcal? Not that its really relevant to internet vs shop just curious about the value the shop is giving you on a year old model
I guess in 2013 they only had the one model of x-caliber
Trek Bicycle

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My bad. For a grand that is a really nice deal. Pretty sure it has the reba. Between the reba and the upgraded wheels from the Marlin/Mamba bikes you probably wont get upgradeitis on it.

Personally, for that price and having lbs support I'd go with that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sorry about that mack_turtle trust me tried various searches via the search bar but no luck so I figured I would post something. Thank you for your input though I know a do know a few people who would be happy to help with assembly.

Thanks shakester I'm probably going to go with the Trek the shop owner is a real cool guy I wouldn't mind giving him my business.

Is the SRAM x7 drivetrain any good? I've had really good luck with my Shimano set up on my road bike.
I love my x7 setup! Have had it for a year and put it under heavy abuse with zero problems

1 - 15 of 15 Posts