Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now a proud owner of spot, I was wondering how mny people actually owns a Turner outside the US...

I was curious to know if Turner is unknown in your own country like it is in France.
In other words, if you're an international owner post here!

If you're an international owner with some time on your hands say what Turner represents abroad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Turner in Mexico

Turner is probably just as well known in Mexico as it is in Afganistan; in fact, I think I have the only Turner in Mexico. I decided to get a new bike a year ago and after reading a lot of US MTB magazines I settled on the Hort link 4 bar design.

Initially I was going to get an Ellsworth, but because of the negative comments about them in MTBR I changed my mind, did some more research and found the Turner forum. I had never heard of Turner but all the positive reviews, and the fact that most people on this forum enjoy riding and fiddling with their bikes as much as I do turned me on to them.

I am now riding a new Flux and it has rekindled my love for mountain biking; It is amazing what "real" suspension can do both up and downhill (my last bike was a Pro-Flex 956). I find myself spending more and more time daydreaming about riding my Turner... OK enough! Need to get back to work!!! :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
accident prone said:
Now a proud owner of spot, I was wondering how mny people actually owns a Turner outside the US...

I was curious to know if Turner is unknown in your own country like it is in France.

If you're an international owner with some time on your hands say what Turner represents abroad.
well, in Belgium and Holland there are quite a few spots, dhrs and burners around, even a nice rail proto. On the ride this saturday, a gettogether from the forum on www.dirty-pages.net there were 4 spots out of the 12 riders... All thanks to a great bikeshop for representing turner very well.

greetz
bettes

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
I have owned an ´98 vintage Turner Burner DH,something like the RFX grandad and regreted it so bad that I sold it so that I have an 6Pack on order now and a SC Heckler for sale...
Turner´s are barley know to the enthusiast mountainbikers overhere in Germany and most of them havn´t ever seen one in person.
Especialy since the Turner bikes are only avaible through the Swiss importers at SuspensionCenter for us in Germany nobody will ever get wind of the existense of this beautys and wouldn´t order one because they are so dam overpriced if you calculate in the exchange and taxes you have to pay while buying outside the EU like Switzerland.
But since there is the internet there are also differnt ways to purchase an piece of quality...
I can´t wait to get my hands at the 6Pack!

Later
RaD

·
Registered
132 Posts
one more soon Down Under

There'll be one more in Australia in a couple of weeks as I'm moving to Sydney from the SF Bay Area. Wonder how many other O2's there are there?

accident prone said:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another one from the UK

5 Spot here.

Turners, especially 5 Spots are getting quite popular in the UK despite costing in £s what US riders pay in $

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's actually something that almost turned me off.
The imported prices are ridiculous or at least not taking the dollar/Euro ratio so that you end up paying much more. Bottomline: the bike bought from Larry cost me 1400 euros with a XT FD, salsa seatpost collar and CK headset. The naked frame is sold 1850 Euros in France plus shipping!
Yetis are less expensive...

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
sounds some of you who want a Turner bad enough to pay the price could just fly over here, pick one up, ride some of the famous trails, and take it home with you and have a nearly free vacation!

_MK

·
Registered
403 Posts
Canada

I know a few people North of the border riding Turners. I'm lucky enough to have a Turner shop 2 blocks from my house. Unfortunately, they want so much for them, I bought mine off the demo bike sale.

BL

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
I'm in Newcastle Australia, just north of Sydney. I bought my Spot when I lived in the USA. The more astute rider here has heard of Turner. My bike is stickerless so most just look and try to figure out what it is. I think the DHR is very well known among the DH/FR crew.

My SS 29er is even rarer here. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Newcastle

Cool, maybe we can go for a ride after I get my bearings(no pun intended ;).

ozlongboarder said:
I'm in Newcastle Australia, just north of Sydney. I bought my Spot when I lived in the USA. The more astute rider here has heard of Turner. My bike is stickerless so most just look and try to figure out what it is. I think the DHR is very well known among the DH/FR crew.

My SS 29er is even rarer here. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
another german

like RaD wrote:

turner is only known to a few enthusiast round here but i doubt that more than a handful of them have ever seen one in person

at least my own 5spot was the first one I've ever seen
I made my decision to purchase one just based on the homers here on the board

It's actually not that hard to get a turner here in germany (e.g. via bike runner) but it sure is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry expensive!

The main reason why nobody knows about turner over here is because the german distributor hardly doesn't advertise at all, is not present at eurobike and turner gets absolutely no coverage at all in german "bike fiction magazines"

maybe turner needs a more entusiastic and active distributor over here
(DT or Casey PM me!)

BTW RaD where in Germany are you?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tyrolens said:
In Austria, only some DH-riders know about Turner. There is a hand full of riders, who own DHRs, but probably I'm the only one here, who rides a 5 Spot.

@RaD: http://www.joker-sports.de/ has great prices on Turner Bikes.

hi tyrolens

joker-sports is a great tip! thanks. (i'm very glad I did not pay bike runners prices!)

your turner is probably my spots closest (as in nearest) relative

·
Registered
464 Posts
Korea

I would have been one of the first people riding a 5 Spot in Korea when I got first got my bike about a year ago, but they are becoming more well-known and popular here. I've only actually seen one other Turner on the trails but through the net I've heard of other owners and two of my Korean riding friends are in the process of changing their bikes over to Turners.

Ironically, another friend who is the Korean importer of Santa Cruz bikes once tried my bike on a tough climb and said he prefered the Turner to his Blur, but he has an obligation to ride the bikes he imports.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
there are some turners populating switzerland. besides mine (5-spot & xce) there are 2 more in Saint Gall ... I have seen one near Winterthur last year ... there is Muggel in Basel (also posting here) for example.
Some swiss do like reading american bike magazines so turner is a known brand to some degree.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Awstrayia

ashayk said:
There'll be one more in Australia in a couple of weeks as I'm moving to Sydney from the SF Bay Area. Wonder how many other O2's there are there?
Dunno about O2s, but there's my grey XL XCE - well, there will be when it's built! Damn work... My bike has lived all its life here, I believe, and she's a rare bird.

Ashayk, PM me if you ever get stuck for contacts or trails in Sydney - I live about 80km south, but work in the city.

Turner (to my limited, out-of-date knowledge) has had only a small penetration into the Aussie scene. I'd suggest that more than a couple of Supergo Burners have ridden the FedEx red-eye, simply because the $A/$US exchange rate is pretty damn good for once. Two years ago, you'd double US retails for a frame. Today it's like 80c in the dollar.

There was a few of the original DH bikes sold here - for BIG $$$$...

Robbo

·
Registered
380 Posts
Norway calling.
For a small country like ours, we have a bunch of proud Turner-owners. I would guess about 30 bikes are rolling around. Turners are wellknown, and very high on peoples wanna-have-lists, and are generally very well respected.

And these bikes are ridden...

Mostly Spots and DHR's over here actually :)

Prices are good, the dealer is the best!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts