Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We built a new bike (Salsa Blackthorn) which has the typical tube-in-tube cable routing.

The cables (dropper and rear brake) rattle inside the frame as usual. With an open-inside-frame routing, fixing this is pretty easy. But with tube-in-tube, its not easy to fix. Other than ordering an AXS Reverb to eliminate 1 more internal cable, does anyone have a clever fix for damping the rattle for tube-in-tube?

I'm going to wedge some rubber right at the port so the cable won't rattle there, but 'pretty sure that wont cure the issue. Wonder what others have done - I can't be the only one that can't handle constant cable rattle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
As a quick fix, you can pull the exposed ends of the housing taut, put a zip tie on one end, then snug it up to the frame. Zip tie the other end tight.

It may (or may not) work, but it costs nothing.

Other options that are reversible: heavy grease/oil (which has the added bonus of making sure they can be removed when replacement time comes).

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a quick fix, you can pull the exposed ends of the housing taut, put a zip tie on one end, then snug it up to the frame. Zip tie the other end tight.

It may (or may not) work, but it costs nothing.

Other options that are reversible: heavy grease/oil (which has the added bonus of making sure they can be removed when replacement time comes).
ohhhh the zip-tie thing is a great idea. I'll try that! Thick bearing grease might not be a bad idea either but the zip-tie is one of those "why didn't I think of that?" suggestions....

Thanks again,

·
Registered
308 Posts
Instead of trying to pull the cables tight, push them in looser. They will push against the inside tube with just enough pressure to keep them from bouncing around.
How is that going to work? I can't think of any way to keep a cable compressed into a tube. I usually pull it as tight as I can and then put on a few wraps of silicone tape.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How is that going to work? I can't think of any way to keep a cable compressed into a tube. I usually pull it as tight as I can and then put on a few wraps of silicone tape.
Ah, my bad... my bike has clamps where the cable enters and exits the frame, so it's easy to keep tension in either direction. I forgot not all bikes have that and many (most, even?) just have an opening.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I used .060 weed eater line. Measured how long I need, put some kinks every inch or so to lightly crowd the cable against the inner wall of the tube and then a short 90 degree to keep it from sliding on thru.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Reviving this semi older thread to help others.

My 2021 Anthem 29 internal brake hose would not stop rattling. I tried the Jagaire foam, closed cell backing rod and zip ties to the entrance and exit of the frame to tighten the hose. Nothing worked. You have to realize even soft Jagwire foam damper material makes noise when it hits the internals of your frame. It's just not as loud as bare housing. Probably more resonant if you have an alloy frame.

The only thing that worked was the recommended di2 method. About 4" long zip ties every 3" inside your frame at 120 degrees from each other. This method makes your hose "float" inside the frame and creates tension to keep your hose from flopping inside the frame and creating orchestral music.

Hope this helps others in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts