Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
I am on 2019 Spartan 29C that I bought used last fall and decided to get rid of the Reverb for my OneUp.

I before I pulled the reverb out, I looked into the port by the head tube and saw the cables and hoses had foam tubes around them. I thought that they were fixed into the down tube to assist in guiding new hardware through when replacing. So, I pulled out the reverb hose and when I tried to feed the new cable through, the foam was gone down into the bottom of the down tube/seat tube junction.

Managed to fish out the foam tube and found it was not full length (only about 30cm long) and then began the onerous task of feeding the new cable down the down tube and trying to fish it up the seat tube.

Finally, using some wire with a hook on the end, got it fished up and out and installed but it was a pain.

So, two questions:
1) is the foam factory from Devinci or was this likely something the previous owner did to quiet the rattle? And if it was factory, are there two or more pieces and I only got one of them out or is there only one?
2) Does anyone have any advice on how to best feed a new cable with foam through the frame?

My 2015 Carbine had a tight bend in the bottom of the seat tube and has been a pain to replace cables and housing since day one but I had hoped that a 2019 bike would have tubing to facilitate the installation of a dropper post.

TIA

·
Registered
50 Posts
The frames (and assuming full build) come with a length of tubing, I forget how long though.

For feeding new cables, can try fishing some dental floss into the openings and using a vacuum while tilting the frame to pull it through. Tie off the other end of the floss to the cable you want to pull through.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
hey guys
I am on 2019 Spartan 29C that I bought used last fall and decided to get rid of the Reverb for my OneUp.

I before I pulled the reverb out, I looked into the port by the head tube and saw the cables and hoses had foam tubes around them. I thought that they were fixed into the down tube to assist in guiding new hardware through when replacing. So, I pulled out the reverb hose and when I tried to feed the new cable through, the foam was gone down into the bottom of the down tube/seat tube junction.

Managed to fish out the foam tube and found it was not full length (only about 30cm long) and then began the onerous task of feeding the new cable down the down tube and trying to fish it up the seat tube.

Finally, using some wire with a hook on the end, got it fished up and out and installed but it was a pain.

So, two questions:
1) is the foam factory from Devinci or was this likely something the previous owner did to quiet the rattle? And if it was factory, are there two or more pieces and I only got one of them out or is there only one?
2) Does anyone have any advice on how to best feed a new cable with foam through the frame?

My 2015 Carbine had a tight bend in the bottom of the seat tube and has been a pain to replace cables and housing since day one but I had hoped that a 2019 bike would have tubing to facilitate the installation of a dropper post.

TIA
The foam is to keep the housing from rattling around. I bought a whole roll of the stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts