Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Let me tell you what happened to my nearly new 2009 Fox Talas 36 R fork yesterday. First and foremost let me say I know that I did this, and that it is not necessarily a fox/fork problem. However, I still felt like it should have handled it.
I was riding a trail and crossed a bridge going south when I noticed that as you approached the same bridge from the south that there was a ramp built up where you could jump the little creek and not use the bridge (maybe 15'). I thought that was to sweet to pass up, after all that was why I spec'ed that big burly fork on my bike. Anyway there was a pretty good down hill that led up to the bridge, I rode up, turned around, and flew down the hill. At or near the launch ramp I grabbed both brakes and pussed out. Leaned the bike on a tree, took a second look, and went to try again. The second attempt I decided at the last minute I didn't have the speed needed so I aborted a second time. With no further thought, I turned around, climbed the hill twice as far as I had previously done, took as much speed as I could muster in 2-9 ( I think) launched off the ramp (10 degrees maybe) cleared the 15' gap by maybe 15 to 20'. When I landed the fork, which I did remember to strech out to it's 160mm setting bottomed completely, made a pretty nasty noise, and spewed oil out of the Right fork leg (riders right). It trickled down the leg to eventually reach near the bottom.
Would you think that seal is permanently blown, is it wishful thinking to hope that I just bottomed it so severly that the fluid had to have some where to go, and I am still okay? It is worth mentioning that the RP23 rear in pro-ped #1 pos soaked it up, it was a near perfect landing in that it was a near as can be simultaneous fnt/rear landing with much forward speed. I am about 185#, and had about 85# of air in the fork, and 150# ish in the rear?
Would more air in the front have prevented this, obviously at the expense of a plush compliant ride, but........
Can push, or these other companies give me both, I mean compliant ride and resistance?
Thanks any and all who can share a little knowledge.

YZF571

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
Can't really advise, but I've done similar with my 36Van without a problem. I was curious where 85 psi for that fork was on the weight chart, and that's more like for a 240 lb rider. Hopefully you haven't damaged anything, but I'd see what Fox says, possible warranty I'd think as that's what people do with those forks...good luck!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BFFL!
Had no ideal that 85# was that far up on the weight charts, it was a pretty good medium for handling, and bottoming rsistance for me. I was getting full travel, no stiction issues. Had asked earlier about the "gulp-gulp" noise on the rebound side. Turned out that I could tune it out, but to have the rebound I want dialed in I just have to put up with a little noise.
So what about the VAN, what is it's intended purpose?
And yeah, I will probably send it off to Fox, just to be safe. I hate to though!
Thanks again!
YZF571

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
YZF571 said:
Thanks BFFL!
Had no ideal that 85# was that far up on the weight charts, it was a pretty good medium for handling, and bottoming rsistance for me. I was getting full travel, no stiction issues. Had asked earlier about the "gulp-gulp" noise on the rebound side. Turned out that I could tune it out, but to have the rebound I want dialed in I just have to put up with a little noise.
So what about the VAN, what is it's intended purpose?
And yeah, I will probably send it off to Fox, just to be safe. I hate to though!
Thanks again!
YZF571
Maybe having to set the air spring that high might have indicated something was off in the first place, don't know, maybe it was the noise from your damping cartridge that might have been a clue. The 36 Van is just the coil version of the fork you're using, just meant that people have been using/riding these forks similarly...

What option do you have other than sending it to Fox? Your local shop a certified Fox service center?

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
I would definatly call fox and tell them exactly what happened because these things should not ever fail in a situation like that. Id be surprised if they did not replace it. I guess you can be the one to test out customer support eh? Id say go for it, call them at: 800-fox-shox

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update to original post

I have sent this fork back to Fox for repair.
The fork functions as it was designed to do now, or better at least. There are a couple of things I am just not certain of however. The selector knob to change the settings is much harder to turn, and does not appear to lock onto a particular setting as it previously did. There is much more motion (up and down) to the same selector knob than I remember. And the fork used to bottom all the way before, now it stops about an inch away, pssibly that means it is working now as before it would collaspe all the way, without much effort I might add.
Lastly......I took great care in packaging my forks, bubble wrap, styrofoam, etc. When I received them back (oh, very speedy turn around) they were in a light (sandwich bag consistency) plastic bag tossed into a way to big of a box, no padding, not secure in any way. The box was all but destroyed, had been retaped enroute I'd have to say. In short they were like a bb in a box car. I expected a little more from fox. But hey, they did fix them.
YZF571

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
Hey, if they did a poor job send it back now and have them do it right, complain about it (not just here). Did the poor packaging cause damage? Tell them about that, too, hopefully they don't have idiots shipping stuff back, but with what they pay and where they are, it's too entirely possible...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.