Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am an intermediate trail rider, looking for a bike to do moderate XC/trail/all-mountain on local hill trails here in the Laurentian region of Quebec (no racing, no jumping, no full downhill). Until recently, I was riding a 2006 Specialized Rockhopper, but it got stolen, and so I'm looking for a replacement. I liked that bike, but I'd like to maybe move toward a more modern geometry. My budget is relatively limited (+ or - 1000 USD), so I'm looking mainly in second-hand market (as many stores are sold-out these days anyway). An added constraint is the fact that I'm 6'5", 195lbs, so ideally looking at XL/XXL frames with long reach. I'm open to HT or FS, but leaning toward HT for budget reasons.

I recently came across a near-mint-condition second-hand 2010 Opus Avro 29.1 for 1000 CAD (about 800 USD). Opus is a well-respected Quebec manufacturer, with a good reputation for high-value bikes. Value of the Avro 1 new was around 2400 CAD (1900 USD). This one has barely been used, never seen a trail as far as I can tell. It is a 29" hardtail with (as far as I can tell from my relatively inexperienced perspective) very aggressive geometry (72 HTA).

The components and frame seem like a good deal at that price, but is that kind of geometry a deal-breaker? Will I be struggling to stay on the bike on downhill sections? Any other suggestions?

Here is a link to the 2010 Opus catalog (Avro 29.1 on pages 66-67): 2010 OPUS CATALOG

Here are the detailed specs:

HTA 72
STA 73
HTT 623 mm
STA 508 mm
HT 100mm
Chain stay 445 mm

FRAME: triple-butted 7005-T6 series, aluminum alloy
FORK: Fox F100 29, RL, 100mm
HEADSET: FSA Orbit ZS-4, Semi integrated
HANDLEBAR: Easton EA70 Monkeybar, 685mm width, 25mm rise
STEM: Easton EA70 3D forged
GRIPS: Kraton dual durometer
SHIFTERS: Shimano XT
BRAKES: Hayes Stroker Trail, 160mm rotors
BB: BB 7000 MegaExo
CRANK: FSA V-Drive 44-32-22
PEDALS: Crank Brothers Eggbeater
F DERAILLEUR: Shimano SLX
R DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT
COGS: Shimano SLX, 11-32t, 9 speed
CHAIN: Sram PC951, Powerlink
WHEELS: Mavic TN719 / Ringle Dirty Flea
TIRES: Geax Saguaro 29 x 2.2 TNT
SADDLE: San Marco Phobos Titanox
SEATPOST: Easton EA70 Taperwall, 31.6mm

Thanks in advance for your help!
Andre

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It'll work but I doubt a 21" will be big enough for you. And it makes your real bike $1000 more expensive.
You need more budget.
Thanks eb1888.

I've come to a similar conclusion re: budget

I'm now looking at a 2016 Cannondale Habit 4 (aluminum alloy). It has the modern long, low, and slack geometry, and seems to have excellent reviews online. Opinions are split about the Lefty fork, but many reviewers claim that it is both precise and responsive. The guy is selling for 2500 CAD (2000 USD), with upgrades including a dropper post, riser handlebars, and maxxis tires.

It's an XL, which from what I can find online means that it has a reach of 477mm (18.8"). I've read some forums where people my height (6'5"+) swear by a reach of 500mm or longer. Anyone have thoughts on this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.