Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just beat myself up.

Northstar is pretty amazing. Took my trail bike out 150/140 and actually had the nads to take Boondocks down. Skipped the big drops, but survived.

Enjoy my lame video, it's not impressive, but any tips, or comments are welcome. Crowded park, and NOBODY was on this trail when we hit it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll be riding Northstar for the first time Friday on my 120mm/120mm 29er. I'm sure I'll get beat up as well, but I sure as hell won't be trying any double blacks (maybe single), especially since I don't have a full-face helmet yet.

Fortunately my single lift-served experience was at Mt. Shasta Ski Park, so however dusty it is at Northstar, it'll still pale in comparison.

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be riding Northstar for the first time Friday on my 120mm/120mm 29er. I'm sure I'll get beat up as well, but I sure as hell won't be trying any double blacks (maybe single), especially since I don't have a full-face helmet yet.

Fortunately my single lift-served experience was at Mt. Shasta Ski Park, so however dusty it is at Northstar, it'll still pale in comparison.
I highly and stringently advise full face. Please don't go up without one. At least rent one there if you don't have access to one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I highly and stringently advise full face. Please don't go up without one. At least rent one there if you don't have access to one.
I'm safety oriented, so I considered renting one, but wasn't sure it was worth it if I'm just riding Coaster, Woods, and Mineshaft all day. Those trails don't look any harder than my typical trail ride. I don't dispute that it's a good idea though and may overcome my aversion to the idea of a sweaty rental helmet.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Way to get after it! My advice, easier said than done, is to stop looking at all of the rocks, get your eyes up and look where you need to be going to flow with the trail instead of swerving around individual obstacles. You crashed because you were worried about getting through what was right in front of you and that ended up putting you in bad places for the next sections, T-ing up almost every corner. Keep it up though, props for pushing yourself, that's what makes this sport so great!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
True that! I was watching the video and was thinking how nice the trails looked right about the time he says, "so loose"!

-Mt Shasta Local
I'm pretty sure you must have been the bearded guy on top of Marmot last year who asked me if I was having a good time. Mt Shasta Ski Park was my first time on a mountain bike as an adult, so that was definitely a trial by fire. I didn't know you were supposed to get out of the saddle while descending and had no idea what the dropper post was for. Thankfully I managed not to kill myself that day.

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Way to get after it! My advice, easier said than done, is to stop looking at all of the rocks, get your eyes up and look where you need to be going to flow with the trail instead of swerving around individual obstacles. You crashed because you were worried about getting through what was right in front of you and that ended up putting you in bad places for the next sections, T-ing up almost every corner. Keep it up though, props for pushing yourself, that's what makes this sport so great!!
You're exactly right. First time, brake heavy, rock dodging. I learned the harder you go the better, the more timid, the more problems.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Great video! Looks like a lot of fun. I gotta get up to N* soon.
This is such good advice. I just I could follow it more often than I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm safety oriented, so I considered renting one, but wasn't sure it was worth it if I'm just riding Coaster, Woods, and Mineshaft all day. Those trails don't look any harder than my typical trail ride. I don't dispute that it's a good idea though and may overcome my aversion to the idea of a sweaty rental helmet.
Coaster can bite you if you're not paying attention. Not to mention the other riders.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm pretty sure you must have been the bearded guy on top of Marmot last year who asked me if I was having a good time. Mt Shasta Ski Park was my first time on a mountain bike as an adult, so that was definitely a trial by fire.
I most likely was that bearded man indeed. Are you local to Mt Shasta? I have a couple of new full face helmets in stock on the cheap $65-$80. Only sm/med at that price point.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.