Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a thought i came across tonite while cleaning my bike.

let's say we do receive this 'upgrade kit' from fisher for our pivot.

if we loctited our original bearings to the frame using the loctite 680 bearing retaining compound, as was the solution by fisher. how the hell do we remove the old bearings from the frame???

i examinted my pivot while i had the bike and pieces, and let me tell you, those babies are NOT coming out!!!

who's got ideas?

·
Registered
236 Posts
heat

nuker said:
here's a thought i came across tonite while cleaning my bike.

let's say we do receive this 'upgrade kit' from fisher for our pivot.

if we loctited our original bearings to the frame using the loctite 680 bearing retaining compound, as was the solution by fisher. how the hell do we remove the old bearings from the frame???

i examinted my pivot while i had the bike and pieces, and let me tell you, those babies are NOT coming out!!!

who's got ideas?
heat gun and a punch

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jimonthecake said:
they have a service sheet on how to do this. something about loosening the loctite with a hair dryer and tapping the bearings out with a hammer and punch. i haven't done this myself.
ya i just looked at the loctite 680 spec sheets. you only have to heat it to 280 degees C.

not sure, but i don't think my hair dryer is that powerful.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yep, with heat. I use the red LocTite (which has to get even hotter than the green to release) on a set of crank bearings I have, and I use a butane torch to heat them up. Once things get hot enough, the stuff breaks right down and the bearings flop right out.

If you are going to reuse the bearings, a crucial detail is to remove the shield you have access to with an Xacto blade first, so the boiling grease has a place to drain and you don't cook the rubber seal.

Isn't it ironic that Fisher is now claiming that the very same upgrade THEY'VE made to very 2005 Cake that's already on the floor is somehow uneccesary for bikes they've already sold to us? Things that make you say, "Hmmmm?"

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
EBasil said:
Yep, with heat. I use the red LocTite (which has to get even hotter than the green to release) on a set of crank bearings I have, and I use a butane torch to heat them up. Once things get hot enough, the stuff breaks right down and the bearings flop right out.

If you are going to reuse the bearings, a crucial detail is to remove the shield you have access to with an Xacto blade first, so the boiling grease has a place to drain and you don't cook the rubber seal.

Isn't it ironic that Fisher is now claiming that the very same upgrade THEY'VE made to very 2005 Cake that's already on the floor is somehow uneccesary for bikes they've already sold to us? Things that make you say, "Hmmmm?"
Wouldn't a butane torch risk ruining the paint?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
MikeDee said:
Wouldn't a butane torch risk ruining the paint?
Yes, if you fired the flame onto the paint, it would certainly cook it off. Since we want to heat the loctite, rather than the whole assembly, the place to aim the torch is at the inside of the "cup", right at the joint between the bearing and cup, so that the heat is aimed at the loctite. This will certainly boil out the grease, of course, and is why one MUST remove the bearing shield...I'd take out the retaininer if that's nylon, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.